University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

Frequently Asked Questions

2020 Annual Enrollment is October 21 – November 5, 2019.

If you are a full-time employee and you don’t enroll by November 5, 2019, you will continue to have the coverage you have today, but at 2020’s coverage costs and with the 2020 benefit changes in place. And, you will not contribute to a Flexible Spending Account or a Health Savings Account, even if you contribute to one in 2019.

If you are less than full-time, you will need to reenroll in order to have coverage in 2020—if you do not reenroll, you will lose coverage for 2020.

In 2019, the cost for your University medical plan coverage stayed the same, while medical plan rates for most employers in our area have gone up. Unfortunately, the state has now reduced funding for health insurance. This action results in a premium increase that must be passed along to employees.

In order to minimize the impact on employee earnings, the Benefits Advisory Group (BAG) originally recommended that coverage for “Other Eligible Adults” (OEA) be removed from the plan as of January 1, 2020. However, both Faculty Senate and Staff Council recommended retaining OEA coverage, which resulted in an additional increase. President Green agreed to implement their recommendation.

Based on the original BAG recommendation to remove OEA coverage, the increase for PPO participants ranged from $5.13 to $14.45 per paycheck, and the increase for HDHP participants ranged from $9.62 to $27.13 per paycheck (depending on coverage level).

After the recommendation to retain OEA coverage, the increase for PPO participants now ranges from $6.61 to $18.63 per paycheck, and the increase for HDHP participants now ranges from $11.10 to $31.29 per paycheck (depending on coverage level).

Here is a summary of 2020 benefit plan changes:

  • For the Standard PPO Plan with Health Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Option, the plan’s annual deductibles, annual medical cost-share maximums, office visit copays, and urgent care copays will increase. There will be a new emergency room copay.
  • Dental and vision coverage will be available only if you elect medical coverage. You cannot enroll in dental and/or vision coverage only.

For more information about 2020 benefit plan changes, visit starting October 21 to view and print the interactive enrollment guide, Summaries of Benefits and Coverage (SBCs) and other legal documents.

An Other Eligible Adult is a non-married adult, age 18 or older, who is mentally competent to consent and is:

  • Living in the employee’s household for the six months before the employee enrolls in benefits
  • Financially interdependent with the employee

Other Eligible Adults and their dependent children are eligible for University of Idaho coverage.

To enroll or change or waive your coverage for 2020, log in to VandalWeb > Employees Menu > myBenefits by November 5, 2019.

If you are a full-time employee and wish to waive coverage, you must submit evidence of your other coverage each year.

If you are a part-time employee and wish to waive coverage, proof of other coverage is not required. By default, you will be placed into waived coverage if you do not make a benefit election.

Non-Board appointed employees and employees who become eligible for medical and prescription drug coverage through an ACA initial or standard measurement period may waive coverage without proof of other coverage.

To submit evidence of your other coverage, please upload a copy of your ID card or a letter from your spouse’s employer or insurance carrier to the myBenefits portal (in VandalWeb) within 30 days of hire or by January 31 if waiving coverage during Annual Enrollment. Providing proof of other coverage is required each year.

You can only make changes during the year if you have a qualifying life event, such as getting married or having a baby. Health Savings Account contributions can be changed anytime during the year.

No, you can no longer choose dental and/or vision coverage separately from medical coverage. You can choose dental and/or vision coverage only if you elect medical coverage.

Yes, if you are enrolling a new dependent for health coverage, you must provide documentation to the University to prove he/she is eligible for coverage, such as a marriage license or birth certificate, as applicable. You can also provide a single tax document, like a tax return, as long as it lists all dependents you want to cover.

Once you elect your benefits and provide all required documentation (e.g., tax document, marriage license, birth certificates), your enrollment elections will be sent electronically to the benefit plan administrators for the plans you choose. Insurance cards will be mailed to you directly from those administrators. This process can take several weeks. To see a health care provider or fill a prescription before your cards arrive, please contact Benefit Services.

Insurance cards are provided to you from Blue Cross of Idaho, CVS Caremark and Delta Dental. Willamette Dental and VSP Vision Care do not print cards. Your ID number with VSP Vision Care is the same as your Vandal ID but with a “9” in place of the “V.” You may also print your own cards for Blue Cross of Idaho, CVS Caremark and Delta Dental by logging in to their websites.

No, your enrolled family members do not receive their own insurance cards. They will use the same card issued to you. You may request additional cards by logging in to your account with Blue Cross of Idaho, CVS Caremark and Delta Dental. However, the cards will be duplicates of the cards issued to you.

You will not receive new cards unless you make a change in medical plans in which case you will get new medical and prescription cards. Likewise, if you change dental plans, you would receive new cards. The vision plan does not provide cards.

Benefits coverage for your child will end on the last day of the month in which he/she becomes age 26.

Physical Address:
415 West 6th Street
Moscow, ID 83844-4332 

Mailing Address:

875 Perimeter Drive MS 4332
Moscow, ID 83844-4332

Office Hours:
Monday - Wednesday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Thursday: Noon to 5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Summer Hours
Monday - Wednesday: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Thursday: Noon to 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Phone: 208-885-3697

Fax: 208-885-3330