University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

Helpful FAFSA Information

Looking for updates on changes and delays to the 2024-25 FAFSA? Visit our FAFSA Update page for the latest.

No matter where you are on your college journey at University of Idaho, completing your FAFSA is the first step to ensure you get the financial aid you need. Follow our guide below to start with your financial aid application!

Important Information:

University of Idaho's FAFSA School Code: 001626

If you plan to attend U of I between Aug. 2023 to Aug. 2024: Submit the 2023-24 FAFSA using income and tax information from 2021.

If you plan to attend U of I, Aug. 2024 to Aug. 2025: You will use income and tax information from 2022.

Financial Aid Workshops

Learn about FAFSA, FSA ID and get all your questions answered!

Sign Up

FAFSA Scholarship

Want one more reason to file your FAFSA? File your FAFSA by April 1 and apply for admission to U of I for an automatic $100 FAFSA Filer scholarship. (Only available to new, incoming undergraduate students.)

2024-25 FAFSA FAQ

The U.S. Department of Education has announced that they will not be delivering any 2024-25 FAFSAs to schools until March. While this does delay an official award letter, University of Idaho is committed to providing students with eligibility information as soon as possible, after the FAFSA data is released. In the meantime, students are encouraged to use our Net Price Calculator Tool.

For the 2024-25 year, the FAFSA has undergone a recent overhaul by the U.S. Department of Education. As a result of some of the new web functionality, the U.S. Department of Education has announced that their website may occasionally be down for maintenance. If students face technical difficulties that aren’t resolved by simply waiting and trying again at a later time, we encourage them to contact the Federal Student Info Center directly.

While waiting on your award offer, students are encouraged to use our Net Price Calculator Tool. Students can also review the estimated Cost of Attendance. Want to know the difference between direct costs and indirect costs?

The delayed FAFSA won't impact U of I scholarships. For any other scholarships, be sure to check specifically with each of those donors for those deadlines, but students are always encouraged to apply early for scholarships. Admitted students can also apply for additional scholarship opportunities through the Scholarship Universe Portal.

What Is the FAFSA?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a free form you complete to determine your eligibility for financial aid. You must fill out and complete the form each year in order to receive financial aid.

By filling out the FAFSA, you are applying for several different types of federal, state and/or university financial aid, all with the submission of one form. The University of Idaho relies on the information you provide on the FAFSA to help you pay for tuition.

How to Apply for the FAFSA

To simplify the process of filling out your FAFSA, we’ve outlined four steps below.

Step 1: Create Your FSA ID

  • Your Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID is needed to electronically sign the FAFSA and submit it. It is a legal signature tied to your Social Security number.
  • If you are a dependent student, one of your parents must create their own FSA ID and sign your FAFSA. Two unique FSA IDs are necessary to complete the FAFSA form online.
  • Note that you only need to create your FSA ID once. If you've forgotten your FSA ID, do not create another account. Instead, use “Forgot My Username/Forgot My Password.”

Step 2: Fill Out the FAFSA at

  • The FAFSA online application typically takes less than one hour to complete.
  • As you fill out your FAFSA, you must enter a “Federal School Code.” University of Idaho’s Federal School Code is 001626.
  • Students and parents must approve the request to share their federal tax information on the FAFSA, even if they didn’t file a U.S. federal tax return or any tax return at all. Not providing consent on the FAFSA will result in not being eligible for federal student aid, including grants and loans. 

Step 3: Sign With Your FSA ID and Submit the FAFSA

  • Use your FSA ID to electronically sign the FAFSA application. If you are a dependent student, both you and your parents must sign the FAFSA with an FSA ID.
  • Upon the successful signature and submission of your FAFSA, you receive an email in three to five days with your FAFSA Submission Summary, which is a summary of the information you submitted on your FAFSA and a brief overview of what you may be eligible for.

Step 4: Verify Information on FAFSA Submission Summary

  • Once you receive your FAFSA Submission Summary, review all information for accuracy to avoid future delays.
  • If any of the information is inaccurate, please log in to the FAFSA with your FSA ID, make corrections and submit again. You must also sign any FAFSA correction with your FSA ID. If you've changed any parent data, your parent must also sign (this applies only to dependent students). For corrections you are not permitted to change, contact Student Financial Aid Services at 208-885-6312. Keep all submitted information for your records.
  • Following the successful submission of your FAFSA, the Student Financial Aid Services Office notifies you via your Vandal email account to give you your next steps in the financial aid process. It is important to check all folders of your email regularly, as it is the primary way we communicate with you.

Need Help Filling Out the FAFSA?

View some Pro Tips for the 2024-25 FAFSA. If you’re stuck and don't know where to start with the FAFSA, or if you’d like someone to walk you through the process step-by-step, Student Financial Aid Services is here to provide you with personalized one-on-one help.

Office Hours

9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time


NOTE: If you are a current or admitted student, please include your Vandal Number in your email.


208-885-6312, toll-free 888-884-3246

General FAFSA FAQs

Filling out the FAFSA is a good idea, even if you think your parents make too much money. Even if your family’s income may exceed the threshold for Pell-grant eligibility, you could qualify for other need-based aid (such as work study or need-based grants or scholarships). You won’t know unless you apply. There is no income limit to restrict a student from receiving low-interest federal loans. Filling out your FAFSA each year guarantees you a backup financial plan should there be a change in your family's income and you need additional funds to pay for college. You are guaranteed loans, and there is no obligation to accept them; they are there if you need them.

Yes, it is worth the time! The FAFSA opens doors to federal grants you don't have to pay back — such as the Pell Grant, which can cover the entire cost of your degree — and work-study funds you earn from a job on campus.

The FAFSA is not complicated as long as you take your time and read the instructions for each field.

If you feel like the process is overwhelming, U of I provides one-on-one help through in-person appointments and through Zoom. You can also contact us at and 208-885-6312 (or toll-free 888-884-3246).

Yes, you can still submit a FAFSA if you are a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen (see Federal Student Aid for more information). Even if your parent(s) do not have a social security number, they can still create a Federal Student Aid (FSA) account to complete the parent portion of the FAFSA, on The account creation process will use additional steps to verify their identity. Once your parent(s) have an FSA account created, you will be able to invite your parent as a contributor in order to complete your FAFSA.

Students are encouraged to contact our office and schedule an appointment with a financial aid counselor if you or your family experience a significant change in financial circumstances after completing the FAFSA.

We recommend reaching out to a financial aid counselor, as a FAFSA review is done when a student and/or parent submits an appeal form. When an appeal form includes supporting documents, this may result in a FAFSA income recalculation.

Please note that approval is on a case-by-case basis, and the office’s decision is final. A reevaluation request can be for special situations, such as the following:

  • Income reported on the FAFSA unreceived for reasons such as layoff, termination or decline in self-employment income
  • Loss of child support, Social Security or disability benefits
  • Separation, divorce or death of a spouse or parent after submitting the FAFSA
  • Parent attending college at least half-time
  • Excessive medical expenses

Yes! Students are allowed to use federal financial aid to pay for any kind of housing, including fraternities, sororities and off-campus housing.

Your answers to the questions on the FAFSA determine your dependency status for financial aid purposes. Being financially independent from your parents does not make you independent for financial aid purposes. If you do not meet the criteria to be considered independent but can document unusual circumstances about your independence, you should contact the U of I financial aid office for guidance. For more information about a student’s dependency status, visit

The BEAMS (Better Education About Money for Students) program provides confidential one-on-one personal financial coaching to students at University of Idaho. This program helps students budget and locate additional resources if needed.

Visit Dates and Deadlines to view a complete list of important FAFSA dates and deadlines.

Once you have submitted your FAFSA, you will receive a FAFSA Submission Summary, where you will be able to see your answers and an overview of your eligibility. Review the information for accuracy and ensure the University of Idaho school code “001626” is listed as one of your schools to receive the FAFSA data.

If the FAFSA data is accurate and you are admitted to U of I, our office will begin the awarding process. If there are errors in the data, please make the necessary corrections online by logging in at

Once our office has the corrected data and you are admitted to the university, you will receive a financial aid award (also called a financial aid package). Continuing students can view their financial aid package on their student portal. New U of I students receive their award by mail, as well as through the student portal.

Watch what happens next.

Student Financial Aid Services

Physical Address:

Bruce M. Pitman Center
Room 101

709 Deakin Avenue
Moscow, ID 83844

Mailing Address:
Student Financial Aid Office
875 Perimeter Dr
MS 4291
Moscow, ID 83844-4291

Phone: 208-885-6312

Fax: 208-885-5592