Know Your Government Conference
Feb. 13-15, 2021 in Boise, Idaho
The Know Your Government (KYG) program mission — Empowering youth to be well-informed citizens who are actively engaged in their communities and the world.
KYG is held each Presidents Day weekend in Boise while the legislature is in session.
The conference is designed for youth in grades eight to nine to:
- Learn how state government decision-making works.
- Influence state government.
- Learn how the state judicial system works.
- Find out how cases are brought to court.
- Observe the legislative process in action.
- Share ideas with legislators, judges and other elected officials.
- Have breakfast with legislators and judges.
- Meet teens from across the state.
Registration open Nov. 20-Jan. 6
The KYG Conference is offered for 8th and 9th grade 4 H youth interested in learning more about our government and how it works. This year, the 2021 KYG Conference will be a hybrid format. Steering Committee youth will be hosting the conference from Boise, ID. Youth delegates and chaperones will join from their homes via Zoom on Feb. 13 and travel to a face-to-face district location on Feb. 14 for committee hearings and mock trials. Delegates and chaperones are required to attend both days. District sites will be hosted by Steering Committee adults, locations are as follows:
- Northern District — Coeur d'Alene Casino Resort, 37915 F Nukwalqw Street Worley, ID
- Southern District — UI Boise Water Center, 322 E. Front Street Boise, ID
- Central District — College of Southern Idaho, Taylor Building, 315 Falls Avenue Twin Falls, ID
- Eastern District — Bonneville County Fairgrounds, UI Extension Bonneville County, 1542 E 73rd S Idaho Falls, ID
Delegates and chaperones are required to provide their own transportation to and from the district location on Sunday, Feb. 14. As per UI policy, face coverings, social distancing and frequent hand sanitizing will be required. The registration fee for Steering Committee members, youth delegates and adult chaperones is $25.00. The registration fee includes t-shirt, and lunch and breaks at the district activity on Sunday, Feb. 14.
Attendees will register through 4-H Online and then are instructed to the payment site at www.uidaho.edu/4hevents. Counties must approve registrations as normal in 4-H Online to advance to the next level in the system. Final registration approval in 4-H Online at the State level will be given once payment is received at the payment site. No registration payments are to be made to the local county office for this event. If a youth is receiving a local scholarship, please work directly with them to reimburse.
After registration, delegates and chaperones will receive more details about the conference including a link and password to access the 2021 KYG Conference webpage, which is the platform to all the conference sessions and information about the Steering Committee, Keynote speaker Legislative and Judicial Workshops and much more.
Please note: this event is will be complying with any current health restrictions, there may be changes. If there are changes or announcements you will be notified as soon as possible.
If you have questions regarding the KYG Conference please contact Donna R. Gillespie at email@example.com.