Benefits, Eligibility or Apply
Become a Part of the McNair Team
TRIO-INSPIRE in the College of Education is a team committed to fostering equity through access to transformational education and personalized support for our Scholars.
We value and sustain a professional environment that is vibrant, healthy, and supportive, in line with the University of Idaho’s vision of “Building Our Team.”
Our core vales are Commitment, Inclusion, Transformation, Intention and Collaboration: committed to be present and invested in our shared success, inclusive of the unique perspectives of all people and cultures, fostering a transformation mindset that sustains life-long learning, intentional in what we do, collaboratively engaging in meaningful relationships as allies and advocates.
The McNair Scholars Program Application is currently open for new student applications. Please submit your completed application by May 7.
The McNair Office is currently accepting applications for the academic year 2021-2022. The program is seeking for Sophomore and Junior applicants.
Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
Benefits of Being a McNair Scholar
A general list of what you will gain:
- Research activities and scholarly work
- Introduction to culturally responsive research
- Workshops and colloquial based on Indigenous pedagogies
- Preparation seminars for graduate and doctoral study
- Graduate school access skills
- Financial literacy
- Summer internships
- Academic success plan
- Professional research conferences
- Faculty and research mentors
You must be an undergraduate student with a sincere desire to obtain Masters and Ph.D. degrees and:
- A first generation AND low-income student OR an underrepresented student
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
To complete the McNair Application, you will need all of the following:
- Application Form (Online)
- or visit Education Bldg., Room 322 for written application
- Statement of Purpose
- We recommend going to the Writing Center
- You may also view our guide below
- 2 Letters of Recommendation (LOR)
- 1 faculty LOR
- 1 Academic or TRIO Advisor LOR
- See more information below
- Can be unofficial
Please write an essay addressing the following topics and attach it to your application. Limit your statement to a maximum of two pages, with double spacing, 1-inch margins and using 12 pt font (Times New Roman or Arial). Your essays should incorporate the following details.
- Personal background
- Please describe your family and educational background.
- Describe any financial, familial, or personal responsibilities that you may have that will require your attention during the next couple of years? (This is in addition to regular academic work.)
- Academic interests
- What research topics, fields or departments do you find most interesting?
- Please describe your research experiences, if any.
- Discuss your academic interests and plans (major(s), minor(s) etc.). Talk about what you enjoy and hope to learn from this field.
- What Ph.D. program (major) do you intend to pursue?
- Are you interested in a career in academia (i.e., as a professor at a college or university)? What do you hope to gain from and contribute to academia?
- Community involvement
- What extracurricular activities do you participate in?
- Describe your volunteer activities or ways in which you "give back" to your community.
- In what ways do you see yourself as a role model for, or in what ways do you hope to become a role model in the future?
- Impact of TRIO McNair Scholars Program
- Discuss how the TRIO McNair Scholars Program can help you attain your goals.
- Discuss how you see yourself contributing to the McNair/TRIO community.
Submit all application materials directly to email@example.com or drop off at the TRIO McNair Scholars Program main office (Education Bldg., Room 322).
- Application Form (if paper vs. online)
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation
- Unofficial Transcripts
Note: If mailing your materials use this address:
TRIO McNair Scholars Program Rm 322
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Dr., MS 3086
Moscow, ID 83844-3086