Benefits, Eligibility or Apply
Become a Part of the McNair Team
TRIO-INSPIRE in the College of Education is a team committed to fostering equity through access to transformational education and personalized support for our Scholars.
We value and sustain a professional environment that is vibrant, healthy, and supportive, in line with the University of Idaho’s vision of “Building Our Team.”
Our core vales are Commitment, Inclusion, Transformation, Intention and Collaboration: committed to be present and invested in our shared success, inclusive of the unique perspectives of all people and cultures, fostering a transformation mindset that sustains life-long learning, intentional in what we do, collaboratively engaging in meaningful relationships as allies and advocates.
Benefits of Being a McNair Scholar
A general list of what you will gain:
- Research activities and scholarly work
- Introduction to culturally responsive research
- Workshops and colloquial based on Indigenous pedagogies
- Preparation seminars for graduate and doctoral study
- Graduate school access skills
- Financial literacy
- Summer internships
- Academic success plan
- Professional research conferences
- Faculty and research mentors
You must be an undergraduate with sincere desire to obtain Masters and Ph.D. degrees and either:
- a first generation & low-income student
- or an underrepresented student
To complete the McNair Application, you will need all of the following:
- Application Form (Online)
- or visit Education Bldg., Room 322 for written application
- Statement of Purpose
- We recommend going to the Writing Center
- You may also view our guide below
- 3 Letters of Recommendation (LOR)
- 2 faculty LOR
- 1 Academic or TRIO Advisor LOR
- See more information below
- Can be unofficial
Please write an essay addressing the following topics and attach it to your application. Limit your statement to a maximum of two pages, with double spacing, 1-inch margins and using 12 pt font (Times New Roman or Arial). Your essays should incorporate the following details.
- Personal background
- Please describe your family and educational background.
- Describe any financial, familial, or personal responsibilities that you may have that will require your attention during the next couple of years? (This is in addition to regular academic work.)
- Academic interests
- What research topics, fields or departments do you find most interesting?
- Please describe your research experiences, if any.
- Discuss your academic interests and plans (major(s), minor(s) etc.). Talk about what you enjoy and hope to learn from this field.
- What Ph.D. program (major) do you intend to pursue?
- Are you interested in a career in academia (i.e., as a professor at a college or university)? What do you hope to gain from and contribute to academia?
- Community involvement
- What extracurricular activities do you participate in?
- Describe your volunteer activities or ways in which you "give back" to your community.
- In what ways do you see yourself as a role model for, or in what ways do you hope to become a role model in the future?
- Impact of TRIO McNair Scholars Program
- Discuss how the TRIO McNair Scholars Program can help you attain your goals.
- Discuss how you see yourself contributing to the McNair/TRIO community.
Students are required to submit two letters of recommendation from faculty and one letter of recommendation from a university advisor or TRIO SSS advisor.
Submit all your application materials directly to the TRIO McNair Scholars Program main office (Education Bldg., Room 322).
- Application Form (if paper vs. online)
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation
Note: If mailing your materials use this address
TRIO McNair Scholars Program Rm 322
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Dr., MS 3086
Moscow, ID 83844-3086