Part 700: Hazardous Materials Shipping Transportation Procedures
- University employees and students who desire to ship or transport hazardous materials must inform EHS of their intent at least three (3) business days prior to shipment. EHS personnel will help ensure that all state and federal regulations for the transportation of all materials have been met.
700.10 Procedure for Shipping/Transporting Hazardous Materials
- Specific information is required in order to determine the necessary paper work, packaging, labeling and markings of hazardous materials or dangerous goods before they can be legally transported. The following information must be submitted in writing to EHS (allow for ample time) in order to ship or transport hazardous materials in commerce:
- Materials List - A detailed list of all material(s) being shipped or transported.
- Quantity - The quantity of each material.
- Location, etc. - The address and phone number of party or location hazardous materials are being shipped or transported to.
- Type of Transportation - The method of transportation (i.e., Federal Express, UPS, U.S. Mail, U of I vehicle, etc.).
- Phone number where you can be reached.
- You MUST indicate if the material contains:
- Any amount of a radioactive material.
- Biologically active/infectious or pathogenic material.
- Any amount of an explosive material (including: ammunition, fireworks, black powder, etc.).
- Compressed gas.
- Cryogenic material.