Guard & Reserve
- Apply for U of I admission.
- Determine whether you are an in-state or out-of-state resident
- All National Guard students are considered Idaho residents as long as they are serving in Idaho.
- Transfer military and other institutional transcripts.
- Army, Navy, Marines, & Coast Guard use Joint Services Transcript.
- Air Force uses Community College of the Air Force
- Students using VA education benefits may still be eligible for financial aid.
- Applying for all university merit-based scholarships and financial aid is a simple step-by-step process.
- If you have graduated from basic training or AIT within approximately the last 3 months, then the VA may not be able to verify your eligibility. If this is your situation, have your unit provide you with the Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE). Once this form is obtained you can submit it with the VONAPP or it can be sent separately to the VA if necessary. View sample NOBE (PDF).
Apply for VA Benefits on VA.gov
This will take 4-6 weeks. Plan accordingly.
Our office highly recommends students set up direct deposit. You will need your bank account information, including routing number and account number.
Schedule On-Campus or Phone Interview
Schedule a meeting or phone interview with Veterans Administrative Coordinator Matthew Barber. Bring Certificate of Eligibility or most recent award letter to interview.
Tuition Assistance (TA)
Due to recent U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) changes, GI Bill Chapter 1606 may not be used in conjunction with federal tuition assistance. There are two kinds of TA: Federal and state. State TA is called State Education Assistance Program (SEAP). Federal TA can’t be used for the same classes as Chapter 1606 is used, but state TA (SEAP) can be used with Chapter 1606 benefits. View complete SEAP application steps (PDF).
Financial Resources by Chapter
Students must submit a GI Bill Certification Request after registering for classes each semester.
Benefits vary depending on the chapter students are using. Find details about your chapter below.
The Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve, otherwise known as Chapter 1606, provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard Reserves, and the Army and Air National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by Selected Reserve components, and VA submits payments.
This benefit is paid to students monthly – $384 per full month as of Oct. 1, 2018.
Enrollment Verification Requirement
Chapter 1606 recipients are required to verify university enrollment on the 30th of each month to receive payments.
To verify enrollment:
- Use Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) – This method is preferred.
- Or call 877-823-2378 on the 30th of each month. You will need to provide your VA File # (SSN) and the zip code of the address you have on file with the VA. You may only call in if there have been no changes to your enrollment since your certification (i.e. change in credits).
GI Bill Certification Requirement
All students must complete the online GI Bill Certification Request form after registering for classes each semester.
- All classes must fulfill a degree requirement as shown on your degree audit on VandalWeb.
- Free electives aren't restricted, but students must concentrate on required courses