Vandal Gem Auditions
Vandal Gem Audition Information
The first round of tryouts will be virtual. The application packet and video requirements for first round - Due May 12, 2021 11:59 p.m. All videos must be submitted in one YouTube link. Please make sure your video is not set to private so the judging panel may view it.
- Introduction video: Within three minutes please introduce yourself, why you would like to be a Vandal, and why you want to be a Vandal Gem.
- Interview question #1: College-level coaching is often surprising for first-year members. There is a high standard for knowledge of material, skill level, and consistent progression. Due to the expectations of coaches, there is often feedback and corrections given throughout the season. These standards require a type of maturity, modesty, and initiative to work hard outside of practice. In one minute, explain how you would handle the pressures of college-level dance? And, how you plan to prepare yourself for the upcoming season?
- Interview question #2: In one minute, give an example a time you were successful during the pandemic.
- Interview question #3: The Vandal Gems are required to learn twenty-three routines before summer practices. These dances vary in time lengths; some are a couple of eight counts, while others are more than a minute long. These routines are filmed and sent out to members during the week of team announcements. We ask our athletes to learn the material before summer practices, so we spend more time on technique, features, and increasing skill levels. In one minute, please explain how you can handle learning the necessary material? And, if you are having a hard time with the material, what would you do?
- Right and Left Double Pirouette
- Right and Left Triple Pirouette
- Two Eight Counts of A La Seconde Sequence
- Right and Left Kicks
- Right and Left Leaps
- Right and Left Splits
- Acro skill of choice (aerial, headspring, kip up, back handspring, etc.)
- Band Dance - View the Routine: [Back view] / [Front View] / [Audio Only] (women only).
- Dance solo - any style of your choice. Please keep between 45-60 seconds in length.
- Jazz Routine - View the Routine
- Sideline presence (sample of rallying for at least 20 seconds).
Those who advance to the second round will be given details in an email on Monday, May 17, 2021. The second round will take place in-person the weekend of May 21-23, 2021. The unveiling of the 2021-2022 team will occur on Monday, May 24, 2021, at noon on our social media platforms.