Vandal Cheer Tryouts
Cheer Tryout Material
The first round of tryouts will be virtual. The application packet and video requirements for first round - Due May 12, 2021 11:59 PM. All videos must be submitted in one YouTube link. Please make sure your video is not set to private so the judging panel may view it.
- Introduction video: Within three minutes please introduce yourself, why you would like to be a Vandal, and why you want to be a Vandal cheerleader.
- Interview question #1: College-level coaching is often surprising for first-year members. There is a high standard for knowledge of material, skill level, and consistent progression. Due to the expectations of coaches, there is often feedback and corrections given throughout the season. These standards require a type of maturity, modesty, and initiative to work hard outside of practice. In one minute, explain how you would handle the pressures of college-level cheer? And, how you plan to prepare yourself for the upcoming season?
- Interview question #2: In one minute, give an example a time you were successful during the pandemic.
- Interview question #3: (female candidates only) The women on Vandal Cheer are required to learn fifteen band dances before summer practices. These routines are filmed and sent out to members during the week of team announcements. We ask our athletes to learn the material before summer practices, so we spend more time on stunts, pyramids, and baskets. In one minute, please explain how you can handle learning the necessary material? And, if you are having a hard time with the material, what would you do?
- Tumbling skills - if you are able to perform standing and running tumbling, please perform your highest level skill. We perform on turf, basketball court, and grass. We would like to see your tumbling skills on one of these surfaces.
- Right and left kicks (women only).
- Right and left splits (women only).
- Band Dance - View the Routine: [Back view] / [Front View] / [Audio Only] (women only).
- Dance style of your choice. Please limit to 4-6 eight counts (women only).
- Chant of your choice.
- Sideline presence (sample of rallying for at least 20 seconds).
Those who advance to the second round will be given details in an email on Monday, May 17, 2021. The second round will take place in-person the weekend of May 21-23, 2021. The unveiling of the 2021-2022 team will occur on Monday, May 24, 2021, at noon on our social media platforms.
If you have any questions regarding material feel free to email the coach at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 208-885-7057.