University of Idaho - I Banner

Financial Aid Information

10 Things an Advisor Should Know

1. Financial Aid Counselors
Students have an assigned financial aid counselor who can assist them with financial aid questions and special circumstances. Appointments can be made by calling or stopping in the office.

2. Census Policy
A student’s enrollment on the 10th day of each semester determines their financial aid eligibility for that semester. When dropping and adding classes students should always add classes before dropping to assure maximum financial aid eligibility. 

3. Withdrawing
Students receiving financial aid and/or scholarships may have to repay some of those funds if they withdraw from all classes prior to completing at least 60% of the semester. 

4. Failing All Classes
Students who fail all their courses in a semester may have to repay financial aid if they did not participate in an academic activity on or after the 60% completion point in the semester. 

5. Satisfactory Academic Progress
Students are required to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements in order to continue receiving federal financial aid from one academic year to the next. Students meet Pace by successfully complete at least 67% of classes they attempt at the U of I and any transfer institution. For example, a first-year student who attempted 12 credits for fall and spring would have to earn a minimum of 17 credits for the year. Undergraduate students must also maintain a required minimum cumulative U of I grade point average of 1.80 (0-32 credits completed) and 2.00 (33 or more credits completed). The GPA for grad students is 3.0 while 2.0 is required for Law students. Once a student has attempted more than 150% of the number of credits required for a degree they lose financial aid eligibility.

6. Petition for Reinstatement of Aid (due to Satisfactory Academic Progress Suspension)
To appeal a suspension of aid caused by failing to meet satisfactory academic progress requirements, students should contact the dean's office of their academic college.

7. Scholarships and Renewability
Individual scholarships have their own different criteria for renewal. Students considering dropping below full-time enrollment should consult with the Financial Aid Office about their continued scholarship eligibility before they drop classes.

8. Enrollment requirements
Most scholarships and grants require full-time enrollment:

  • Undergraduate students — 12 credits
  • Graduate students — 9 credits
  • Law students — 10 credits

Some federal financial aid funds are available for students enrolled less than full time. A class that was taken two or more times and passed the last time it was taken does not count toward their financial aid enrolled credits. Some scholarship programs require full-time enrollment in U of I credits.

9. Double Majors
Once a student has one bachelor’s degree, they are no longer eligible for Pell grants as well as many other types of financial aid. Students should work to complete both majors before they graduate.

10. Receiving an F or W Grade for a Class 
Students who receive federal financial aid grants and withdraw from a class or receive an F grade in a class must show they participated in a minimum of one academic activity for that class or they will have to repay some of their financial aid grant funds.

Financial Aid Services 
Bruce M. Pitman Center
Visit the Financial Aid Website

Contact Us

Physical Address:
Idaho Student Union Building 306

Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Drive
MS 2436
Moscow, ID 83844-2436

Phone: 208-885-6300

Fax: 208-885-9494