Jaap Vos, Ph.D.
Jaap Vos, Ph.D.
Professor of Planning and Natural Resources, Interim Director of the Environmental Science Program and Interim Department Head, Natural Resources and Society
Water Center 242G
Department of Natural Resources and Society
University of Idaho
Water Center, 242G
322 E. Front Street
Boise, ID 83702
- Ph.D. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1996
- M.S. Agricultural and Environmental Science, 1989
- Informal governance, the risks and opportunities of not fitting into mainstream planning practices.
- Bioregional planning and its opportunities as an alternative for traditional planning especially within the context of the American West.
- Environmental justice and its application to people, places and regions.
- Planning for wildfire, how to turn communities from liabilities into opportunities.
- BIOP520 Intro to Bioregional Planning
- BIOP523 Planning Sustainable Places
- BIOP530 Planning Theory and Professional Ethics
- BIOP560 Bioregional Planning Studio I
- BIOP561 Bioregional Planning Studio II
- Stephen R. Miller, Jaap Vos & Eric Lindquist (2019), Informal Governance Structures and Disaster Planning: The Case of Wildfire, U. Ark Little Rock Law Rev.
- Ricky Mullins, Cassidy Hall, Judith Painter, Melinda Davis and Jaap Vos (2019), Recording the World: The Potential of Using Wearable Technologies to Teach Social Studies, Proceedings Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education, Las Vegas, March 18-22, 2019
- Cassidy Hall, Ricky Mullins, Melinda Davis and Jaap Vos (2018), Making a Case for Digital Inquiry: Using Wearable Video Technology to Engage in Perspective Taking and Inquiry, Proceedings of the EdMedia and Innovate Learning 2018: World Conference on Educational Media and Technology, June 25, 2018.
- Bahar Durmaz-Drinkwater, Aslı Ceylan Öner, Jaap Vos (2018), Amenity Migration and Changing Cultural Landscape in Urla-İzmir, Turkey. In: Vicino, T.J. and Hanlon, B, Companion to the Suburbs, Routledge.
- Stephen R. Miller, Eric Lindquist, Jaap Vos, Thomas Wuerzer, Molly Mowery, Alexander Grad & Brian Stephens (2016), Planning for Wildfire in the Wildland-Urban Interface, Idaho State Bar magazine, The Advocate.
- Amanda Ashley and Jaap Vos (2015), The Department as a Third Sector Planner: Implementing Civic Capacity Through the Planning Core Curriculum, Journal of Planning Education and Research, Volume 35, Number 4, pages 501-514
- Jaap Vos (2015), Sustainable Development: Meeting the Needs of All Idahoans, Square Feet, Volume 1, Number 1, page 9.
- Jaap Vos (2013), Making Time in Boise: Embracing the Befuddling City, The Blue Review, Volume 1, Number 3, pages 5-6.
- Diana Mitsova, Jaap Vos, P. Gardinali and Inna Stafeychuk (2011), Variability in Road Runoff Pollution by Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) in the Urbanized Area Adjacent to Biscayne Bay, Florida, Journal of Environmental Protection, Volume 2, pages 1317-1330.
- Jaap Vos (2004), The Everglades: Where Will All the Water Go? In: Mark Lappen and Owen Furuseth, Big Places, Big Plans, Perspectives on Rural Policy and Planning, pages 97-114, Ashgate Publishing.
- Jaap Vos (2002), Segregation, Restoration, and Gentrification on the North Fork: Can Participation Prevent Another Injustice, Projections, the MIT Journal of Planning, Volume 3, pages 133-156.
- Alka Sapat, Jaap Vos and Khi Thai (2002), Environmental Injustice: An Emerging Issue in Public Policy, International Journal of Public Administration, Volume 25, Numbers 2&3, pages 143-168.
- Jaap Vos, Alka Sapat and Khi Thai (2002), The Role of Local Officials in the Occurrence of Environmental Injustice: A Case Study, International Journal of Public Administration, Volume 25, Numbers 2&3, pages 305-332.
- Jaap Vos (2001), A Community Based Outreach Strategy for Environmental Justice: The COELT Program in Florida, Critical Planning, Summer 2001, pages 86-98