Mary Engels, Ph.D.
Department of Natural Resources and Society
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1139
Moscow, Idaho 83844-1139
- Ph.D., University of Idaho, 2019
- M.S., University of Hawaii, 2003
- B.A., Colorado College, 2000
- Island Ecosystems
- Climate Change
- Remote Sensing
- Environmental Education
- Science Communication
- Engels, M., Miller, B., Squires, A., Jennewein, J., and Eitel, K. (2019) The Confluence Approach: Developing scientific literacy through project-based learning and place-based education in the context of NGSS. Electronic Journal of Science Education, v. 23(3), p. 33-58
- Deary, A., Moret-Ferguson, S., Engels, M., Zettler, E., Jarslow, G., and Sancho, G. 2015 Influence of Central Pacific Oceanographic conditions on the potential vertical habitat of four tropical tuna species. Pacific Science, v. 69(4), p. 461-475
- Engels, M., Correia, L., Piwinski, S., Cheng, L, and Zettler, E. 2014. Seasonal and decadal changes in distribution patterns of Halobates (Hemiptera:Gerridae) populations in the Eastern Tropical Pacific. Marine Biology, p.1-10
- Engels, M.S., and Fletcher, C.H., 2008. Moloka`i - Two different types of reef growth in the past 8,000 years, in Field, M.E., Cochran, S.A., Logan, J.B., and Storlazzi, C.D., eds., The coral reef of south Moloka`i, Hawai`i; Portrait of a sediment-threatened fringing reef. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2007-5101, p. 37-40.
- Engels, M.S., Fletcher, C.H., Field, M.E., Conger, C.L., and Bochicchio, C., 2008. Demise of reef-flat carbonate accumulation with late Holocene sea-level fall; evidence from Molokai Hawaii. Coral Reefs, v. 27, p. 991-996.
- 2017 - Idaho Environmental Educators Association Informal Educator of the Year
- 2009 - The Coral Reef of South Moloka'i, Hawai'i—Portrait of a Sediment Threatened Fringing Reef (USGS SIR 2007-5101):
- Association of Earth Science Editors' Outstanding Publication of 2009 (print category)
- National Association of Government Communicator's Blue Pencil Award of Excellence for 2009 (technical communication)
- Honored by Hawaii State Senate and House of Representatives in Concurrent Resolution #2009-0916 SCR SMA-1
- Curriculum Vitae pdf