Dennis Becker, Ph.D.
Dean and Professor of Natural Resource Policy
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1138
Moscow, ID 83844-1138
- Ph.D., University of Idaho, Moscow, ID (2002); Degree: Natural Resources
- M.S., Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI (1997); Degree: Recreation & Tourism Resources
- B.S., Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS (1992); Degree: Park Resource Management
Natural resource policy analysis research focuses on policy development and evaluation, resource assessment and analysis of social and economic impacts in the areas of forest resources, fisheries and wildlife, range and community energy systems.
- *Carlton, L.E., D.R. Becker. 2018. Forest biomass policy in Minnesota: Supply chain perspectives on bioenergy development. Forests, 9(5):254.
- Nicholls, D.L, *J.M. Halbrook, *M. Benedum, H.S. Han, E. Lowell, D.R. Becker, R. James Barbour. 2018. Socioeconomic constraints to biomass removal from forest lands for fire risk reduction in the western U.S. Forests, 9(5):264.
- Paveglio, T, M.S. Carroll, *A. Stasiewicz; D. Williams, D.R. Becker. 2018. Incorporating social diversity into wildfire management: Proposing 'pathways' for fire adaptation. Forest Science. DOI 10.1093/forsci/fxy005.
- *Plumb, S., T. Paveglio, K. Jones, B.A. Miller, D.R. Becker. 2018. Differentiated Reactions to Payments for Ecosystem Service Programs in the Columbia River Basin: A Qualitative Study Exploring Irrigation District Characteristics as Local Common-Pool Resource Management Institutions. International Journal of the Commons. 12(1):202–224. DOI: 10.18352/ijc.806.
- Wilson, P.I., T. Paveglio, D.R. Becker. 2018. The Politically Possible and Wildland Fire. Fire, 1(1):12. DOI 10.3390/fire1010012.
- Abrams, J., D.R. Becker, J. Kudrna, C. Moseley. 2017. Does policy matter? The role of policy systems in forest bioenergy development in the United States. Forest Policy and Economics. 75:41-48. DOI: 10.1016/j.forpol.2016.12.007.
- *Lucas, A.M., Y.S. Kim, B. Greco, D.R. Becker, E. Hjerpe, J. Abrams. 2017. The social and economic contributions of the White Mountain Stewardship Project: Final 10-year assessment—lessons learned and implications for future forest management initiatives. Journal of Forestry. 115(6):548-558.
- Cheng, T., R.J. Gutiérrez, S. Cashen, D.R. Becker, et al. 2016. Is There a Place for Legislating Place-Based Collaborative Forestry Proposals? Examining the Herger-Feinstein Quincy Library Group Forest Recovery Act Pilot Project. Journal of Forestry. 114(4):494-504.
- *Håbesland, D., M. Kilgore, D.R. Becker, S. Snyder, Sjølie, H.K., B. Solberg, B.H. Lindstad. 2016. Norwegian Family Forest Owner’s Willingness to Participate in Carbon Offset Programs. Forest Policy and Economics. 70:30-38.
- Sjølie, H.K., D.R. Becker, D. Håbesland, B. Solberg, B.H. Lindstad, M. Kilgore, S. Snyder. 2016. Willingness of nonindustrial private forest owners in Norway to supply logging residues for wood energy. Small-Scale Forestry. 15(1):29-43.
- Fulbright Fellow, Council for International Exchange of Scholars, U.S. Department of State, Norway (2013)
- Morse Alumni Undergraduate Teaching Award, University of Minnesota (2011-2012)
- Special Advisor Recognition, University of Minnesota (2010-2011)
- CNR Celebrating Natural Resources Alumni Award, University of Idaho (2010)
- Outstanding Faculty Advisor Award, University of Minnesota (2009-2010)
- Teacher of the Year Award (non-tenured), University of Minnesota (2008-2009)
- DOI, Bureau of Land Management. Analysis of Outcome-Based Management Policies on BLM Rangelands in Idaho.
- USDA Office of the Chief Economist. Evaluating Policy and Market Barriers to the Use of Forest Biomass for Energy Production in the United States.
- Idaho Department of Lands, Forest Stewardship Program. Idaho Family Forest Landowner Study.
- Oregon Department of Forestry—USDA Office of the Chief Economist. Policy Analysis, Evaluation, and Facilitation to States Considering Biomass in their Clean Power Plan SIP.
- USDA National Institute for Food and Agriculture. Regional Bioenergy Policy Effectiveness: Compatibility, Innovation, and Coordination Across the Supply Chain. http://woodenergyproject.com/
- Associate Editor, Journal of Forestry
- Associate Editor, Fire
- University of Idaho Provost Counsel
- University of Idaho Social Science Task Force
- National Program Chair, Society of American Foresters 2018 National Convention
- Policy Chair, Inland Empire Chapter, Society of American Foresters
- National Nominating Committee, Society of American Foresters