Minors in Spanish, French & German
The MLC Department offers minors in Spanish, French and German that combine language study with courses in literature, film and culture.
20 credits are required for the minor. A maximum of three transfer credits and/or credits earned through study abroad may be applied toward the upper-division course requirements for these minors.
Spanish Minor Requirements
- SPAN 101 and 102: Elementary Spanish I-II (8 credits)
- SPAN 201 and 202 Intermediate Spanish I-II (8 credits)
- Nine credits of upper-division Spanish courses including SPAN 301 and SPAN 302, but not including lab-based, FLEN or lit/film in translation courses (9 credits)
French Minor Requirements
- FREN 101 and 102 : Elementary French I-II (8 credits)
- FREN 201 and 202 Intermediate French I-II and lab (8 credits)
- Nine credits of upper-division French courses, not including lab-based, FLEN or lit/film in translation courses (9 credits)
German Minor Requirements
- GERM 101 and 102: Elementary German I-II (8 credits)
- GERM 201 and 202 Intermediate German I-II 8 (8 credits)
- Nine credits of upper-division German courses, not including lab-based, FLEN or lit/film in translation courses (9 credits)
Placement Exam Information
Are you enrolling in your first college-level modern language course? Enrollment in Chinese, French, German, Japanese and Spanish at the 102 level or higher at the University of Idaho requires completion of the AVANT Placement Exam or the AVANT Spanish Language Heritage Test. These are computer-delivered placement exams and are administered on the Moscow campus by Testing Services (Mary E. Forney Hall, Room 301) for a $20 fee. While there is no time limit, most students complete the exam in less than an hour. You can take the AVANT Placement Exam or the AVANT Spanish Language Heritage Test by appointment between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Call 208-885-5138 to schedule your placement exam. Additional information and practice tests are available online for both the AVANT Place and the AVANT Spanish Language Heritage Test. Please plan to take the exam at the very latest by 5 p.m. on the Friday before classes begin. Results are available within three to five business days on VandalWeb – View My Test Scores. If you do not fulfill this course prerequisite, you will be automatically dropped from your modern language class on the third day of classes. For information regarding this requirement, contact the Modern Languages and Cultures department at 208-885-6179 or email email@example.com.
Students enrolled in online courses at the 102 level or higher are also required to take the AVANT Placement Exam. If you are on the Moscow campus, please take the AVANT Placement Exam at Test Services. If you are not on the Moscow campus, you will take the AVANT Placement Exam at an officially sanctioned testing center for a $20 fee plus an additional proctoring fee determined by each individual testing center. Please contact Testing Services 208-885-5138.