The Asian Studies minor combines language study with interdisciplinary coursework. 20 credits are required for the minor.
- Two semesters of Asian Language or one semester of Approved Study Abroad in Asia
- Courses from the following list may be selected. No more than 9 credits in one discipline and no more than 6 in the student’s major. At least 9 credits of upper-division coursework required. Students must complete 6 of these 9 credits of upper-division coursework at the University of Idaho to complete the Asian Studies minor.
- ANTH 220: Peoples of the World (3 credits)
- ANTH 261: Language and Communication(3 credits)
- COMM 335: Intercultural Communication (3 credits)
- GEOG 200: World Regional Geography (3 credits)
- HIST 180: Introduction to East Asian History (3 credits)
- HIST 481: America’s Wars in Asia (3 credits)
- HIST 482: Japan, 1600 to Present (3 credits)
- HIST 484: Modern China, 1840s to Present (3 credits)
- HIST 485: Chinese Social and Cultural History (3 credits)
- IS 325: Topics in Islamic Studies (3 credits)
- PHIL 307/RELS 307: Buddhism (3 credits)
- POLS 205: Introduction to Comparative Politics (3 credits)
- POLS 237: International Politics (3 credits)
- POLS 420: Introduction to Asian Politics (3 credits)
Placement Exam Information
Are you enrolling in your first college-level modern language course? Enrollment in Chinese, French, German, Japanese and Spanish at the 102 level or higher at the University of Idaho requires completion of the AVANT Placement Exam or the AVANT Spanish Language Heritage Test. These are computer-delivered placement exams and are administered on the Moscow campus by Testing Services (Mary E. Forney Hall, Room 301) for a $20 fee. While there is no time limit, most students complete the exam in less than an hour. You can take the AVANT Placement Exam or the AVANT Spanish Language Heritage Test by appointment between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Call 208-885-5138 to schedule your placement exam. Additional information and practice tests are available online for both the AVANT Place and the AVANT Spanish Language Heritage Test. Please plan to take the exam at the very latest by 5 p.m. on the Friday before classes begin. Results are available within three to five business days on VandalWeb – View My Test Scores. If you do not fulfill this course prerequisite, you will be automatically dropped from your modern language class on the third day of classes. For information regarding this requirement, contact the Modern Languages and Cultures department at 208-885-6179 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students enrolled in online courses at the 102 level or higher are also required to take the AVANT Placement Exam. If you are on the Moscow campus, please take the AVANT Placement Exam at Test Services. If you are not on the Moscow campus, you will take the AVANT Placement Exam at an officially sanctioned testing center for a $20 fee plus an additional proctoring fee determined by each individual testing center. Please contact Testing Services 208-885-5138.