Current entomological research at the Parma Research and Extension Center includes:
- Integrated management strategies for pests and beneficial insects and mites in specialty crops including hops, mint and alfalfa seed.
- Research on management of pollinators in seed crops including alfalfa seed.
- Identification and management information for insects and mites found in urban and agricultural settings.
- Parma Cocoon Testing Laboratory provides alfalfa seed growers with accurate information on the health of alfalfa leafcutting bees (Megachile rotundata) used to pollinate their crop.
- Non-profit, extension-oriented service
- Provides statistically accurate estimates of the proportion of live cells, chalkbrood mortality, pollen ball mortality and parasitoids of the leafcutting bee cells
- Accepts leafcutting bee cells thought out the year
- Analysis time depends on number of samples received (but usually takes one to two weeks)
- For more information, please view bee testing brochure (pdf) and/or email Brenda Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org