Ag Science, Room 233
Entomology, Plant Pathology and Nematology
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 2329
Moscow, ID 83844-2329
Ph.D., North Carolina State University
M.S., Texas A&M University
B.S., Heidelberg College
- Ecology and management of insects in natural systems, such as forests and rangelands, with emphases on insect nutritional ecology (primarily involving tree-insect-microbe systems)
- Chemical ecology (primarily examining host resistance mechanisms)
- Community ecology (primarily community response to disturbances)
- Cook, S.P., B.D. Sloniker & M. Rust. In Press. Using systemically-applied insecticides for management of ponderosa pine cone beetle in pine seed orchards. Western Journal of Applied Forestry.
- Hoffman, C.M., P. Morgan, W. Mell, R. Parsons, E.K. Strand & S. Cook. In Press. Surface fire intensity influences simulated crown fire behavior in forests with mountain pine beetle-caused tree mortality. Forest Science.
- Cook, S.P., F. Merickel, K. Ward & N. Havill. 2012. First report of Adelges abietis (Linnaeus) (Hemiptera: Adelgidae) in Idaho. The Pan-Pacific Entomologist 88: 435-436.
- Hoffman, C.M., P. Morgan, W. Mell, R. Parsons, E. Strand & S. Cook. 2012. Numerical simulation of crown fire hazard immediately following bark beetle-caused mortality in lodgepole pine forests. Forest Science 58: 178-188.
- Berryman, E.M., J.D. Marshall, T. Rahn, S.P. Cook & M. Litvak. 2011. Adaptation of continuous-flow cavity ring down spectroscopy (CRDS) for batch analysis of d13 C of CO2. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry. 25: 2355-2360.
- Cook, S.P., S.M. Birch, F. Merickel, C. Caselton Lowe & D. Page-Dumroese. 2011. Bumble bee community structure on two sagebrush steppe sites in southern Idaho. The Pan-Pacific Entomologist 87: 161-172.
- Caselton Lowe, C., S. M. Birch, S. P. Cook & F. Merickel. 2010. Comparison of trap types for surveying insect communities in Idaho sagebrush steppe habitats. The Pan-Pacific Entomologist. 86: 48-57.
- Cook, S.P., B.M. Shirley & P.J. Zambino. 2010. Nitrogen concentration in mountain pine beetle larvae reflect nitrogen status of the tree host and two fungal associates. Environmental Entomology. 39:821-826.
- Cook, S.P., F. Merickel & J.B. Johnson. 2010. Parasitism of Scolytus multistriatus (Marsham) (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae) in an ornamental planting of Frontier elm in Lewiston, ID. The Pan-Pacific Entomologist. 86: 92-94.
- Cook, S.P., K.S. Humes, R. Hruska, G. Fraley & C.J. Williams. 2010. Identifying subalpine fir (Abies lasiocarpa) attacked by the balsam woolly adelgid (Adelges piceae) using spectral measurements of the foliage. International Journal of Forestry Research. Vol. 2010, Article ID 498189, 8 pages; doi:10.1155/2010/498189
- N.C. State University nominee for the Entomological Society of America, Comstock Award, 1985
- USDA-Agricultural Research Service Merit Award, 1994