University Distinguished Professor
Ph.D., Cornell University
M.S., Cornell University
B.S., Cornell University
- Climate change and agriculture — Integrated research, education and outreach concerning effects of changing climates on wheat production systems in the Northwest
- Chemical ecology of Arthropod borne infectious agents — Deciphering the mechanisms through which pathogens affect hosts and vectors, with implications for disease dynamics, integrated disease management, and evolution of pathogens, vectors and hosts
- Chemical ecology of insects, plant–insect interactions, chemical and structural plant attributes affecting plant–insect and tritrophic interactions, insect behavior, and plant surface waxes, with expertise in extraction and analysis of chemicals from plant tissues, scanning electron microscopy, host plant resistance and integration of host plant resistance into pest management (chemical ecology)
- Paudel, S., E. J. Bechinski, B. S. Stokes, H. R. Pappu, and S. D. Eigenbrode. 2018. Deriving economic models for pea aphid (Hemiptera: Aphididae) as a direct-pest and a virus-vector on commercial lentils. Journal of Economic Entomology 111: 2225-2232
- Eigenbrode, S. D., N. A. Bosque-Pérez, and T. S. Davis. 2018. Insect-borne plant pathogens and their vectors: Ecology, evolution, and complex interactions. Annual Review of Entomology 63: 169-191.
- Rashed, A., X. Feng, S. Prager, L. D. Porter, J. Knodel, A. Karasev, and S. D. Eigenbrode. 2018. Vector-borne viruses of pulse crops, with a particular emphasis on North American cropping systems. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 111: 205–227.
- O’Leary, G. J., P. K. Aggarwal, D. F. Calderini, D. J. Connor, P. Craufurd, S. D. Eigenbrode, X. Han, and J. L. Hatfield. 2018. Challenges and responses to ongoing and projected climate change for dryland cereal production systems throughout the World. Agronomy MDPI 8: doi:10.3390/agronomy8040034.
- Borrelli, K. A., G. E. Roesch-McNally, J. D. Wulfhorst, S. D. Eigenbrode, G. G. Yorgey, C. E. Kruger, L. L. Houston, L. A. Bernacchi, and R. L. Mahler. 2018. Farmers’ trust in sources of production and climate information and their use of technology. Journal of Extension 56:3FEA7. Available at: https://www.joe.org/joe/2018june/a7.php.
- Blubaugh, C. K., J. S. Asplund, S. D. Eigenbrode, M. J. Morra, C. R. Philips, I. E. Popova, J. P. Reganold, and W. E. Snyder. 2018. Dual-guild herbivory disrupts predator-prey interactions in the field. Ecology, 99: 1089-1098.
- Park, I., S. D. Eigenbrode, S. P. Cook, B. L. Harmon, H. L. Hinz, U. Schaffner, and M. Schwarzländer. 2018. Examining olfactory and visual cues governing host-specificity of a weed biological control candidate species to refine pre-release risk assessment. BioControl. 10.1007/s10526-018-9867-7
- Eigenbrode, S. D., P. Binns, and D. R. Huggins. 2018. Confronting climate change challenges to dryland cereal production: a call for collaborative, transdisciplinary research and producer engagement. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution 10.3389/fevo.2017.00164.
- Davis, T.S., Y. Wu, and S.D. Eigenbrode. 2017. The effects of Bean leafroll virus on life history traits and host selection behavior of specialized pea aphid (Acyrthosiphon pisum, Hemiptera: Aphididae) genotypes. Environ. Entomol. in press.
- Parker, J.E., D.W. Crowder, S.D. Eigenbrode, and W.E. Snyder. 2016. Trap crop diversity enhances crop yield Agric., Ecosyst. Environ. 232: 254 - 262
- Merickel, J.W., B. Shafii, S.D. Eigenbrode, C.J. Williams, and W.J. Price. 2016. Modeling the occurrence of four cereal crop aphid species in Idaho. Pages 1-38 in Applied Statistics in Agriculture, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas (refereed conference proceedings)
- Eigenbrode, S.D., T. S. Davis, J. R. Adams, D. Husebye, L. P. Waits, and D. Hawthorne. 2016. Host-adapted aphid populations differ in their migratory patterns and capacity to colonize crops. Journal of Applied Ecology doi: 10.1111/1365-2664.12693
- Bosque-Pérez, N.A., P.Z. Klos, J.E. Force, L.P. Waits, K. Cleary, P. Rhoades, S.M. Galbraith, A.L.B. Brymer, M. O’Rourke, S.D. Eigenbrode, B. Finegan, J.D. Wulfhorst, N. Sibelet, and J.D. Holbrook. 2016. A pedagogical model for team-based, problem-focused interdisciplinary doctoral education. Bioscience.
- Mondal, S., E.J. Wenninger, P.J.S. Hutchinson, J.L. Whitworth, D. Shrestha, S.D. Eigenbrode, and N.A. Bosque-Pérez. 2016. Comparison of transmission efficiency of different isolates of Potato virus Y among three aphid vectors. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata accepted.
- Sadeghi, S.E., J. Bjur, L. Ingwell, L. Unger, N.A. Bosque-Pérez, and S.D. Eigenbrode. 2016. Interactions between Metopolophium festucae (Theobald) subspec. cerealium (Hom. Aphididae) and Barley yellow dwarf virus. Journal of Insect Science. 16: 1-6.
- Davis, T. S., N.A. Bosque-Pérez, I. Popova, and S.D. Eigenbrode. 2015. Evidence for additive effects of virus infection and water availability on phytohormone induction in a staple crop. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 114.
- Eigenbrode, S.D., A.N.E. Birch, R. Meadow, W.E. Snyder. 2015. Expanding push-pull theory: A conceptual framework for targeting future agro-ecosystems research. Journal of Applied Ecology, DOI: 10.1111/1365-2664.12556.
- Davis, T.S., N. A. Bosque-Pérez, N.E. Foote, T. Magney, and S.D. Eigenbrode. 2015. Environmentally dependent host–pathogen and vector–pathogen interactions in the barley yellow dwarf virus pathosystem. Journal of Applied Ecology: doi: 10.1111/1365-2664.12484.
- Wright-Morton, L., S.D. Eigenbrode, T.A. Martin. 2015. The architecture of adaptive integration for transdisciplinary projects, Ecology and Society, 20(4):5. http://dx.doi.org/10.5751/ES-07788-200405.
- Wu, Y., T.S. Davis, and S.D. Eigenbrode. 2014. Phytovirus infection mediates host selection behavior and fecundity of the insect vector Acyrthosiphon pisum. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 153:246–255.
- Eigenbrode, S.D., T.S. Davis, D.W. Crowder. 2015. Climate change and biological control in agricultural systems: Principles and examples from North America, in (ed) Bjorkman, C., P. Niemela, Climate change and insect pests, CABI. pp. 119-135.
- American Philosophical Association/PDC Prize for Excellence and Innovation in Philosophy Programs (team award to Toolbox Dialogue Initiative), 2018
- Jean'ne M. Shreeve NSF EPSCoR Research Excellence Award, 2016
- Elected as Fellow of the Entomological Society of America, 2016
- Appointed University Distinguished Professor, University of Idaho, 2013
- Invited Lecturer for the University of Idaho Department of Physics Award Banquet – topic: Insect Science and Integration, 2011
- University of Idaho 2011 Award for Excellence in Interdisciplinary or Collaborative Efforts (shared with 5 other UI faculty members who have been instrumental in our successes with NSF-IGERT)
- University of Idaho 2011 Award for Excellence in Research or Creative Activity
- PSES Department Outstanding Teaching and Advising Award, 2011 (also nominated for college level award)
- Nominated for the C.P Woodworth Award for Outstanding Service to Entomology in the Pacific Region, 2010
- Richard C. Heimsch, Gamma Sigma Delta Outstanding Researcher Award, 2009