Assistant Professor - Research (Fish Nutrition and Nutrigenomics)
Ag Science, Room 214 or Aberdeen center
Animal, Veterinary and Food Sciences
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 2330
Moscow, ID 83844-2330
Kumar’s research interest revolves around aquaculture (marine and freshwater); nutrition, physiology and genomics of aquatic animals. Main aim of his research is to develop nutritionally balanced, environmentally sound and cost-effective seafood production.
Ph.D., University of Hohenheim, Germany, 2011
M.F.Sc., Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Mumbai, India, 2006
B.F.Sc., Central Agricultural University, India 2004
- Nutritional biochemistry
- Animal nutrition and nutrient requirements
- Aquaculture (marine and freshwater)
- Fish nutrition and physiology
- Feed processing and manufacturing technology
- Aquaculture production management
- Fish biology
- Genetic selection of improved lines of fish
- Molecular biology
- Kumar, V. (2019). Phytic Acid. Whole Grains and Their Bioactives: Composition and Health. Editors: Taylor Wallace and Jodee Johnson. Publisher: Blackwell.
- Kumar, V., Sinha, A.K. (2018). General Aspects of Phytases. Enzymes in Human and Animal Nutrition: Principles and Perspectives [Editors: Carlos S. Nunes and Vikas Kumar]. ISBN: 9780128054192. Pp: 53-72. Publisher: Elsevier (Academic Press).
- Habte-Tsion, H.-M., Kumar, V. (2018). Non-starch Polysaccharides enzymes - General Aspects. Enzymes in Human and Animal Nutrition: Principles and Perspectives [Editors: Carlos S. Nunes and Vikas Kumar]. ISBN: 9780128054192. Pp: 183-210. Publisher: Elsevier (Academic Press).
- Kumar V., Sinha A. K., Wang, H.P., De Boeck, G., (2014). “Fibre and gastrointestinal health” in the book “Advanced Nutrition and Dietetics in Gastroenterology. Editor: Miranda Lomer. ISBN 9780470671320. Chapter 2.1, Pp. 57-71. Publisher: Wiley-Blackwell (an imprint of John Wiley & Sons Ltd).
- Makkar, H.P.S., Kumar V., and Becker, K. (2012). Use of detoxified Jatropha kernel meal and protein isolate in farm animal species in “Opportunities and Challenges in Utilizing Co-products of the Biofuel Industry as Livestock Feed” Chapter 21, Pp 351-378. Publisher: FAO, Rome Italy.
- Romano, N. and Kumar, V. (2018). Starch gelatinization on the physical characteristics of aqua feeds and subsequent implications to the productivity in farmed aquatic animals. Review in Aquaculture. DOI: 10.1111/raq.12291.
- Kumar, V., Sinha, A.K., Allen, K.M. Bowman, B.A., ThompsonK.R., and Tidwell, J.H. (2018). Nutritive significance of cholesterol and its putative metabolism and mobilization in shrimp. Review in Fisheries Science and Aquaculture. 26 (2), 254-273.
- Kumari B., Kumar, V., Sinha A. K., De Boeck, G. (2017). Toxicology of arsenic in fish and aquatic systems. Environmental Chemistry Letters, 15(1), 43-64.
- Mohapatra S., Kumar V., Prusty A. K., Chakraborty, T., Sinha A. K., De Boeck, G. (2013). Aquaculture and stress management- a review of probiotic intervention. Journal of Animal physiology and animal nutrition. 97(3), 405-30.
- Kumar V., Sinha A. K Makkar H.P.S., De Boeck, G., and Becker K. (2012). Dietary role of Nonstarch Polysaccharides in Human nutrition: a review. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition 52(10), 899-935.
- Kumar, V., Sinha, A.K., Makkar, H. P. S., De Boeck, G., & Becker, K. (2012). Phytate and Phytase in Fish Nutrition: A Review. Journal of Animal physiology and animal nutrition. 96, 335-364.
- Sinha A. K., Kumar, V., Makkar H.P.S., De Boeck, G., and Becker K. (2011). Non-starch Polysaccharides and their role in fish Nutrition - A Review. Food Chemistry. 127, 1409-1426.
- Kumar, V., Sinha, A. K., Makkar, H. P. S. & Becker, K. (2010). Dietary Role of Phytate and Phytase in Human Nutrition: A Review. Food Chemistry 120, 945–959.
- Kumar, V., Habte-Tsion, H.-M., Allen M.K., Bowman, B.A., Thompson, K.R., Tidwell, J.H., Filer, K. (2018). Complete replacement of fish oil with algal meal (Schizochytrium sp.) and its impacts on the growth and lipid metabolism of Pacific white shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei). Aquaculture Nutrition. DOI: 10.1111/anu.12816.
- Romano, N., Kumar V., (2018). Combination of dietary pre-gelatinized starch and isomaltooligosaccharides improved pellet characteristics, subsequent feeding efficiencies and physiological status in African catfish, Clarias gariepinus, juveniles. Aquaculture. 484 (1), 293-302
- Hulefeld, R., Habte-Tsion, H.-M., Lalgudi, R., Cain, R., McGraw, B. Tidwell, J.H., Kumar, V. (2018). Nutritional evaluation of an improved soybean meal as a fishmeal replacer in the diet of Pacific white shrimp, Litopenaeus vannamei. Aquaculture Research. 49 (4), 1414-1422. <likanmnai,>Food Chemistry, 239:1037-1046
- Ebrahimi, M., Daeman, H., Chong, C.M., Karami, A., Kumar, V., Hoseinifar, S.H., Romano, N., (2017). Comparing the effects of different dietary organic acids on the growth, intestinal short chain fatty acids, and liver histopathology of red hybrid tilapia (Oreochromis sp.) and potential use of these as preservatives. Fish Physiology and Biochemistry. 43 (4), 1195-1207.
- Taher, S., Romano, N., Arshad, A., Ebrahimi, M., The, J.C., Ng, W.K., Kumar, V. (2017). Assessing the feasibility of dietary soybean meal replacement for fishmeal to the swimming crab, Portunus pelagicus, juveniles. Aquaculture 469 (2017) 88–94.
- Spiera, M.R., Staack, L., Souza, P.Z.,Kumar, V.,Medeiros, A.B.P., Soccol, C.R. (2016). Impact of microbial growth inhibition and proteolytic activity on the stability of a new formulation containing a phytate-degrading enzyme obtained from mushroom.Preparative Biochemistry & Biotechnology.46 (7), 725-733.
- Kumar V.,Paulo P.R., Valentine K.M., Sinha, A.K., Blust, R., De Boeck, G. (2015). Linking environmental heavymetal concentrations and salinity gradients with metal accumulation and their effects: A case study in mussel species of Vitória estuary and Espírito Santo bay, Southeast, Brazil.Science of the Total Environment.523, 1-15.
- Latif, S., Kumar V., Makkar, H. P. S. and Becker, K. (2015). Nutritional and biochemical studies on feeding of hydrolysed and unhydrolysed detoxified Jatropha curcas protein isolate in common carp fingerlings. Aquaculture Research.
- Kumar, V., Khalil, K.B., Becker, K. (2013). Influences of detoxified Jatropha curcas kernel meal on expression of growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor-1 encoding genes in common carp. Journal of Animal Physiology and Animal Nutrition. 97, 97-108.
- Devappa R. K., Sanjay K.R., Kumar, V., Makkar, H. P. S. and Becker, K. (2012). Activities of Jatropha curcas phorbol esters in various bioassays. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. 78, 57-62.
- Kumar, V., Makkar, H. P. S. & Becker, K. (2012). Evaluations of the nutritional value of Jatropha curcas protein isolate in common carp. Journal of Animal Physiology and Animal Nutrition. 96 (6), 1030-1043.
- Sinha, A.K., Diricx, M., Chan, L., Liew, H.J., Kumar V., Darras, V.M., Blust, R., De Boeck, G. (2012). Expression pattern of potential biomarker genes related to growth, ion regulation and stress in response to ammonia exposure, food deprivation and exercise in common carp (Cyprinus carpio). Aquatic Toxicology. 122-123, 93-105.
- Makkar, H.P.S., Kumar, V., Oyeleye, O.O., Akinleye, A., Angulo-Escalante, M.A., Becker, K. (2011). Jatropha platyphylla, a new non-toxic Jatropha species: Physical properties and chemical constituents including toxic and antinutritional factors of seeds. Food Chemistry. 125, 63–71.
- Kumar, V., Makkar H.P.S., Devappa R. K. and Becker K. (2011). Isolation of phytate from Jatropha curcas kernel meal and effects of isolated phytate on growth, digestive physiology and metabolic changes in Nile tilapia. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 49, 2144-2156.
- Kumar, V., Makkar, H. P. S., Becker, K. (2011). Nutritional, Physiological and haematological responses in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) juveniles fed detoxified Jatropha curcas kernel meal. Aquaculture Nutrition 17, 451-467.
- Kumar, V., Makkar, H. P. S., Amselgruber, W. & Becker, K. (2010). Physiological, haematological and histopathological responses in common carp (Cyprinus carpio L) fingerlings fed with differently detoxified Jatropha curcas kernel meal. Food and Chemical Toxicology 48, 2063-2072.
- Kumar V., Sahu N.P., Pal A.K., Kumar S., Sharma P., Chettri J.K., Sinha A.K. (2009) Nongelatinized starch influences the deposition of n-3 fatty acids in the muscle of a tropical fresh water fish Labeo rohita. Journal of Animal Physiology and Animal Nutrition. 93, 659-668.
- Kumar V., Sahu N.P., Pal A.K., Kumar S., Sinha A.K., Ranjan J., Baruah K. (2009). Modulation of key enzymes of glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, amino acid catabolism and TCA cycle of a tropical freshwater fish Labeo rohita fed gelatinized and non-gelatinized starch diet. Fish Physiology and Biochemistry. 36 (3), 491-499.
- Kumar V., Sahu N. P., Pal A. K., Kumar S., Gupta S. K. (2008). Gelatinized to Non-gelatinized starch content in the diet of L. rohita: Effect on digestive, metabolic response and growth. Journal of Animal physiology and animal nutrition. 92, 492-501.
- Gupta S. K., Pal, A. K., Sahu N. P., Dalvi R., Kumar V. and Mukherjee S. (2008). Microbial levan in the diet of Labeo rohita juvenile: Effect on non-specific immunity and histopathological changes after challenged with Aeromonas hydrophilla. Journal of Fish Disease. 31(9), 649-657.
- Kumar V., Sahu, N. P., Pal A. K and Kumar S. (2007). Immunomodulation of Labeo rohita juveniles due to dietary gelatinized and non-gelatinized starch. Fish and Shellfish Immunology. 23, 341–353.
Kumar’s teaching experience includes Nutritional Science and Biochemistry including fish nutrition, fish physiology and Biochemistry. He developed a several undergraduate and graduate courses including fish nutrition; animal nutrigenomics and metabolism; food and feed technology; and feeding management.
Kumar has over nine years of research and teaching experience in aquaculture and nutritional biochemistry. For his outstanding contribution to research and teaching in the global fisheries sector, he was awarded the “Dr. T.V.R. Pillay and Dr. M.V. Gupta Best Overseas Fisheries Scientist Award” by the Professional Fisheries Graduate Forum (PFGF) in India. He is currently serving as an editorial board member of Scientific Reports by the Nature Publishing Group and as leading associate editor for the Journal of the World Aquaculture Society. He has authored more than 70 papers in peer-reviewed journals, 12 book chapters and 30 magazine articles. Recently, Kumar has published a book entitled “Enzymes in Human and Animal Nutrition: Principles and Perspectives” via Elsevier, Academic Press. Along with extensive research work, his duties also include development of new undergraduate and graduate courses in aquatic and terrestrial animal nutrition, feed technologies, nutrigenomics and metabolism.
- Best Overseas Fisheries Scientist Award (Dr. T.V.R. Pillay and Dr. M.V. Gupta) - Government of India, Professional Fisheries Graduate Forum (PFGF), 2011
- Visiting Researcher Award “Fonds Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek – Vlaanderen (FWO) International Scientific Cooperation (IWS) BOF UA, Belgium, 2011.
- Outstanding Research Award “Dr. V.G. Jhingran Best Post-Graduate Overseas Thesis (Ph.D.)” Government of India, PFGF, India, 2011
- Best Young Guest and Doctoral Researcher Award (Yggdrasil Scholarship), Annual scholarships for investigation and learning in Norway, 2010
- Gold medal for standing first in Graduate Program (Dr. Hiralal Chaudhary Gold Medal): Central Institute of Fisheries Education, 2007
- Outstanding Research Award “Dr. N. R. Menon best Post Graduate Thesis (M.F.Sc.) Award from PFGF India, Year 2007.