Assistant Professor - Research (Fish Nutrition & Nutrigenomics)
Kumar’s research interest revolves around aquaculture (marine and freshwater); nutrition, physiology and genomics of aquatic animals. His primary research is to develop nutritionally balanced, environmentally sound and cost-effective seafood production.
Ph.D., University of Hohenheim, Germany, 2011
M.F.Sc., Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Mumbai, India, 2006
B.F.Sc., Central Agricultural University, India 2004
- Nutritional biochemistry
- Animal nutrition and nutrient requirements
- Aquaculture (marine and freshwater)
- Fish nutrition and physiology
- Feed processing and manufacturing technology
- Aquaculture production management
- Fish biology
- Genetic selection of improved lines of fish
- Molecular biology
- Editor: “Enzymes in Human and Animal Nutrition 1st Edition: Principles and Perspectives”. Publisher: Academic Press an imprint of ELSVIER. ISBN: 9780128054192. Page count: 592.
- Kumar, V., Hossain, S.M., Benito M.R., Ragaza, J.A. (2020). The Potential Impacts of Soy Protein on Fish Gut Health in the book “Soybean for Human Consumption and Animal Feed”. Editor: Aleksandra Sudarić. Publisher: IntechOpen. ISBN: 978-1-83881-019-1. Print ISBN: 978-1-83881-018-4. eBook (PDF) ISBN: 978-1-83881-020-7.
- Kumar, V., Sinha A.K., Kajbaf, K. (2019). Phytic Acid and Phytase Enzyme in the book Whole Grains and Their Bioactives: Composition and Health. Editors: Taylor Wallace and Jodee Johnson. Publisher: John Wiley and Sons. DOI:10.1002/9781119129486.ch18
- Kumar, V., Sinha, A.K. (2018). General Aspects of Phytases. In Book “Enzymes in Human and Animal Nutrition: Principles and Perspectives”. Editors: Carlos Nunes and Vikas Kumar. Publisher: Academic Press an imprint of ELSVIER. ISBN: 9780128054192. Pp 53-67.
- Kumar, V., Sinha, A.K., Scognamiglio, V., Arduini, F. (2020). Multi-potential biomarkers for seafood quality assessment: Global wide implication for human health monitoring. TrAC Trends in Analytical Chemistry. DOI: 10.1016/j.trac.2020.116056
- Ragaza, A.R., Hossain, S.M., Meiler, K., Kumar, V. (2020). A review on Spirulina: alternative media for cultivation and nutritive value as an aquafeed. Reviews in Aquaculture. DOI: 10.1111/raq.12439
- Romano, N., Kumar, V., Yang, G., Kajbaf, K., Benito, M.R., Overturf, K., Brezas, A., Hardy, R. (2019). Bile acid metabolism in fish: disturbances caused by fishmeal alternatives and some mitigating effects from dietary bile inclusions. Review in Aquaculture. https://doi.org/10.1111/raq.12410
- Romano, N., Kumar, V. (2019). Starch gelatinization on the physical characteristics of aqua feeds and subsequent implications to the productivity in farmed aquatic animals. Review in Aquaculture. 11, 1271–1284.
- Kumar, V., Sinha, A.K., Allen, K.M. Bowman, B.A., Thompson K.R., and Tidwell, J.H. (2018). Nutritive significance of cholesterol and its putative metabolism and mobilization in shrimp. Review in Fisheries Science and Aquaculture. 26 (2), 254-273.
- Kumar, V., Fawole, J.F., Romano, N., Hossain, M.S., Labh, S.N., Overturf, K., and Small, B.C. (2020). Insect (Black soldier fly, Hermetia illucens) meal supplementation prevents the soybean meal-induced intestinal enteritis in rainbow trout and health benefits of using insect oil. Fish & Shellfish Immunology. DOI: 10.1016/j.fsi.2020.12.008
- Kumar, V., Lee, S., Cleveland, B., Romano, N., Lalgudi, R., Rubio, M., McGraw, B., and Hardy, R. (2020). Comparative evaluation of processed soybean meal (EnzoMealTM) vs. regular soybean meal as a fishmeal replacement in diets of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss): Effects on growth performance and growth-related genes. Aquaculture. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2019.734652
- Meiler, K., Cleveland, B., Radler, L., Kumar, V. (2020). Oxidative stress-related gene expression in diploid and triploid rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) fed diets with organic and inorganic zinc. Aquaculture. DOI: 10.1016/j.aquaculture.2020.736149
- Yadav, A.K., Sinha, A.K., Romano, N., Kumar, V. (2020). Potential amelioration of waterborne iron toxicity in channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) through dietary supplementation of vitamin C. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. DOI: 10.1016/j.ecoenv.2020.111337
- Lee, S., Kumar, V., Cleveland, B., Romano, N., Vemuri, G.N., Yadav, A.K., Meiler, K., and Hardy, R. (2020). Fishmeal alternative from renewable CO2 for rainbow trout feed. Aquaculture Research. DOI: 10.1111/are.14749
- Kumar, V., Wang, H-P., Lalgudi, R., Cain, R., McGraw, B., and Rosentrater, K. A. (2020). Processed soybean meal as an alternative protein source for yellow perch (Perca flavescens) feed. Aquaculture Nutrition. DOI: 10.1111/anu.12911
- Habte-Tsion, H-M., Kolimadu, G., Waldemar Rossi W., Kumar, V. (2019). Effects of Schizochytrium and micro-minerals on the immune, antioxidant, inflammatory and lipid metabolism status of Largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides) fed high and low fishmeal diets". Scientific Reports. (Nature Publisher). Scientific Reports 10(1):7457. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-020-64286-9
- Kumar, V., Habte-Tsion, H.-M., Allen M.K., Bowman, B.A., Thompson, K.R., Tidwell, J.H., and Filer, K. (2018). Complete replacement of fish oil with algal meal (Schizochytrium sp.) and its impacts on the growth and lipid metabolism of Pacific white shrimp (Litopenaeus vannamei). Aquaculture Nutrition. DOI: 10.1111/anu.12816
- Allen M.K., Habte-Tsion, H.-M., Bowman, B.A., Thompson, K.R., Tidwell, J.H., Filer, K., Kumar, V. (2019). Potential use of an omega-3 rich algae meal as a lipid source in the diets of the Pacific white shrimp Litopenaeus vannamei post larvae. Scientific Reports. (Nature Publisher). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-41020-8
- Kanmnai, N., Kumar V. et al., (2018). Improvement of feed pellet characteristics by dietary pregelatinized starch and their subsequent effects on growth and physiology in tilapia. Food Chemistry, 239:1037-1046.
- Kumar, V., Habte-Tsion, H-M., Allen M.K., Bowman, B.A., Thompson, K.R., Tidwell, J.H., Filer, K. (2018). Combined replacement of fishmeal and fish oil with algal meal (Schizochytrium sp.) and vegetable oils and their influence on the growth and lipid metabolism of Pacific white shrimp Litopenaeus vannamei). Aquaculture Nutrition. 24(6). 1769-1781.
Kumar’s teaching experience includes Nutritional Science and Biochemistry including fish nutrition, fish physiology and biochemistry. He developed a several undergraduate and graduate courses including fish nutrition; animal nutrigenomics and metabolism; food and feed technology; and feeding management. Kumar has over 15 years of research and teaching experience in aquaculture and nutritional biochemistry. For his outstanding contribution to research and teaching in the global fisheries sector, he was awarded the “Dr. T.V.R. Pillay and Dr. M.V. Gupta Best Overseas Fisheries Scientist Award” by the Professional Fisheries Graduate Forum (PFGF) in India.
Kumar is currently serving as an editor for the Animal Feed Science and Technology (Elsevier Publisher), editorial board member of Scientific Reports by the Nature Publishing Group and as a leading associate editor for the Journal of the World Aquaculture Society (Wiley Publisher). In addition, Kumar is serving as guest editor for Frontier in Marine Science. He has authored more than 90 papers in peer-reviewed journals, 21 book chapters and 32 magazine articles. Recently, Kumar has published a book entitled “Enzymes in Human and Animal Nutrition: Principles and Perspectives” via Elsevier, Academic Press. Along with extensive research work, his duties also include development of new undergraduate and graduate courses in aquatic and terrestrial animal nutrition, feed technologies, nutrigenomics and metabolism.
- Best Overseas Fisheries Scientist Award (Dr. T.V.R. Pillay and Dr. M.V. Gupta) - Government of India, Professional Fisheries Graduate Forum (PFGF), 2011
- Visiting Researcher Award “Fonds Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek – Vlaanderen (FWO) International Scientific Cooperation (IWS) BOF UA, Belgium, 2011.
- Outstanding Research Award “Dr. V.G. Jhingran Best Post-Graduate Overseas Thesis (Ph.D.)” Government of India, PFGF, India, 2011
- Best Young Guest and Doctoral Researcher Award (Yggdrasil Scholarship), Annual scholarships for investigation and learning in Norway, 2010
- Gold medal for standing first in Graduate Program (Dr. Hiralal Chaudhary Gold Medal): Central Institute of Fisheries Education, 2007
- Outstanding Research Award “Dr. N. R. Menon best Post Graduate Thesis (M.F.Sc.) Award from PFGF India, Year 2007.