When you've determined that the University of Idaho is the right fit for your academic goals, you have several options for admission as an international student:
- Conditional Admission (undergraduate and graduate students): If you meet our academic performance minimums, but do not meet our English language proficiency minimums, you are encouraged to apply for conditional admission.
- Undergraduate Admission: If you are seeking an undergraduate degree (bachelor’s) from the University of Idaho and you meet both the academic performance and language test score minimums, then you are able to apply for regular admission.
- Graduate Admission: If you are seeking a graduate degree (master’s or doctorate) from the University of Idaho, please visit the Office of Graduate Admissions to learn more about degree programs, academic and language requirements (determined by each individual department) and application procedures.
- Exchange Student Admission: Exchange students visit the University of Idaho as full-time students for a period of usually one or two semesters pursuant to a formal reciprocal exchange agreement between the University of Idaho and their home institution or with an exchange organization of which the University of Idaho is a member.
Undergraduate Academic Requirements
A 2.5 on a 4.0 GPA scale is required from secondary school. Students must meet criteria for admission to university level study in home country.Accepted Credit
International Baccalaureate Credit
General Certificate of Education
Global Assessment Certificate
AP and CLEP Credit
Graduate Academic Requirements
Graduate school applicants must possess the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree, with a minimum overall Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
Students must meet criteria set by U of I Graduate Admissions, as well as individual academic departments.
The following are acceptable as proof of English competency for students for whom English is not their primary language. The substitutions are considered to be equivalent to a TOEFL score of 525/70 and are available only for undergraduate students applying for admission in degree and non-degree seeking programs.
- Completion of the University of Idaho American Language and Culture Program (ALCP)
- SAT evidence based reading & writing minimum score of 550 (SAT taken March 2016 and after)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) minimum score of 70
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) minimum score of 6.0
- See more accepted programs and countries eligible for waivers on the Language Requirements list.