University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

State Authorization and Regulatory Compliance

The State of Idaho is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) and the University of Idaho is one of the approved SARA institutions in Idaho. As such, we adhere to an established common set of standards for offering post-secondary distance education among member states, districts and territories. Participation in SARA is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state.

The University of Idaho also works directly with states that are not NC-SARA members to ensure that when authorization or licensure is necessary, required approvals are secured. While we monitor the laws in each state, authorization of distance education is a dynamic environment and prospective students should check this site often for updates.

It is the student’s responsibility to understand current circumstances or special requirements in their state of residence.

U of I Authorization Status

For the authorization status of the University of Idaho, please refer to the directory at National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA).

Appeals Resolution Process

The University of Idaho strives to provide the highest quality educational opportunities available. However, if a conflict does arise, our efforts are meant to resolve your grievances, complaints, and concerns in an expeditious, fair, and amicable manner.

Appeals to the Institution

Students with concerns, complaints, and/or petitions have access to processes to resolve their concern(s). The university encourages informal resolution as a first step, working with faculty, programs, colleges and similar structures, depending on the nature of the concern. Academic appeals are heard in one of the following committees: Academic Petitions committee, Academic Hearing Board, and Administrative Hearing Board described in the General Requirements and Academic Procedures section of the U of I Catalog.

Locate the primary contact for your college by going to College Contacts. Several appeals processes require forms, which can be downloaded from the Office of the Registrar Forms page.

Additional appeals processes

Appeals at the State Level

Students must exhaust an institution’s dispute resolution process. If a SARA student is not satisfied with the outcome of the institutional process or if the issue is not resolved by the University of Idaho’s internal processes, you may choose to file an appeal with the Idaho State Board of Education or with the agency in your state of residence. Appeals must be submitted no later than thirty (30) calendar days after the student receives the institution’s final decision on matter.

To file an appeal with the Idaho State Board of Education, please visit this site.

To file an appeal with the agency in your state of residence, locate your state’s contact agency:

Physical Address:
875 Perimeter Dr.
Moscow, ID 83844

Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Dr.
Moscow, ID 83844

Phone: 208-885-0968