University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

Teacher Librarian Endorsement K-12

Independent Study in Idaho offers courses that can be used as transfer credits toward degree programs, obtaining teacher librarian certification, and renewal of teaching credentials.

The University of Idaho sponsored library science courses are only available through ISI. These courses are required for the Idaho Teacher Librarian K-12 Endorsement. Additionally, ISI offers courses applicable to the U of I's library science teaching minor. Library science courses can also be taken for professional development.

The programs are as follows:

For information about Library Science classes, see Find a Course, Library Science.

Teacher Librarian Endorsement (K-12):
Idaho certified teachers who are interested in school library and media positions and have a secondary, standard elementary, exceptional child, standard occupational specialist or advanced occupational specialist teaching certificate may earn a Teacher Librarian Endorsement (K-12). This endorsement requires a total of 24 Library Science course credits through ISI. This includes 21 semester-hour credits of coursework leading toward competency as defined by Idaho Standards for Teacher Librarians to include the following: collection development/materials selection, literature for children and/or young adults; organization of information (cataloging and classification); school library administration/management; library information technologies; information literacy; and reference and information service; and meeting or exceeding the state qualifying score on the Praxis II Test 5311. In addition to the 21 credits of coursework, a three-credit practicum is also required. Departmental approval and approval of site are required for the practicum; it is approved after the majority of the required course work has been completed. A Grade Point Average (GPA) requirement for entering the program is 2.75 or permission. Library Science course credits earned before 2015 will not count toward the Teacher Librarian Endorsement or Library Science Minor. 

When the coursework, practicum, and the Praxis II Test 5311 are completed, and if the student is completing an endorsement for Idaho, he/she must contact Dr. Taylor Raney, the Certification Officer at Undergraduate Programs and Certification, College of Education, Health & Human Sciences, University of Idaho, 875 Perimeter Drive MS 3084, Moscow, ID 83844-3084 for institutional recommendation signature approval of completion of requirements for the Idaho State Department of Education. Dr. Raney's email is Students must earn a C or better in the courses pertaining to the Teacher Librarian K-12 endorsement to receive an endorsement recommendation by the Certification Officer.

These courses may be approved for endorsements in other states. Teachers outside the state of Idaho should check with their state's Department of Education to determine requirements and to obtain written confirmation that ISI credits are acceptable for their state's endorsement.

If you are seeking endorsement after completing your library science coursework, contact your state board of education to ensure you are meeting current state requirements.

Library Science Teaching Minor for University of Idaho Students:

To obtain a teaching minor in library science, a student must be enrolled in a degree program at the University of Idaho. The teaching minor in library science must total 24 credits in the areas of collection development/materials selection; literature for children and/or young adults; organization of information (cataloging and classification); school library administration/management; library information technologies; information literacy; and reference and information services. This teaching minor will qualify the student for the Idaho K-12 Teacher Librarian Endorsement. Because library science is not a teaching field, the teacher librarian must also qualify for a standard Idaho elementary or secondary teacher's certificate. For more information about the U of I Library Science minor contact the U of I College of Education.

Students who have completed a course cannot retake the course at a different level for additional credit. For example, if a student completes LibS 415, the student cannot enroll in LibS 515. To read this policy, see the University of Idaho General Catalog, Part 3, General Requirements and Academic Procedures, B-Registration, B-12: Registration in Joint-Listed Courses.

Graduate level (500) library science courses can only be taken with instructor permission. Contact ISI for instructor contact information.

Independent Study in Idaho courses may be used toward renewing teaching credentials or for recertification. Contact your state's department of education to determine if ISI courses are applicable.

If you reside in Idaho, contact:

Idaho State Department of Education
650 West State Street
P.O. Box 83720
Boise ID 83720-0027
Toll-free: 800-432-4601
Phone: 208-332-6800
Fax: 208-334-2228

"Independent Study in Idaho was so amazing to work with. If I could do it all over again, I would take at least two more courses from the U of I instead of another university. The quality of these online courses is phenomenal. They are rigorous and stressful but I learned so much that I am currently using in the real world."
-Holly M.


Independent Study

Physical Address:
Blake House
1150 Blake Ave.
Rooms 205, 206 and 207
Moscow, ID 83844-3081

Mailing Address:

Independent Study in Idaho
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 3081
Moscow, ID 83844-3081

Toll-free: 877-464-3246

Phone: 208-885-6641


Web: Instructor Gradebook Access