Vandal Bikes Program
The Vandal Bikes program is intended to increase biking among University of Idaho students as a primary mode of transportation on and off campus. Students who participate in the Vandal Bikes program receive a commuter bicycle, including accessories (helmet, lock and bike light), for their exclusive use for a portion of a year, a full academic or calendar year or the entire length of time that they are enrolled as a student at the University of Idaho. Students who participate in the Vandal Bikes program for four consecutive academic years while enrolled at University of Idaho have the option to become the owner of the bicycle and accessories at no additional cost.
Any incoming or current first-year student who has not purchased an annual parking permit is eligible to enjoy the benefits of the Vandal Bikes program. Eligibility is extended into subsequent years for students who first participate as a freshman and continue to not purchase an annual parking permit.
Students living off-campus and participating in the Vandal Bikes program are eligible to purchase up to four 10-day temporary parking permits for use during the winter or on days when driving to campus is absolutely necessary.
For the 2022-23 academic year, the Vandal Bike program requires a deposit of $292. Students may use the rented bicycle for up to four consecutive academic years with no additional fees applied.
A full refund will be provided to students who end their participation in the Vandal Bikes program by returning their rented bicycle, lock and bike light to PTS in a normal wear and tear condition, as determined by PTS and Paradise Creek Bicycles. A partial refund may be given depending on the condition of the bicycle. Students who participate in the Vandal Bikes program for four consecutive academic years while enrolled at University of Idaho have the option to become the owner of the bicycle and accessories at no additional cost.
View technical details of the bicycle model here.
These program benefits apply while students are enrolled at U of I and participate in the Vandal Bikes program and terminate when the student takes possession of the bike after four consecutive years of participation.
- All bicycle maintenance, routine and otherwise, is included in the one-time cost of the bicycle rental.
- An annual bicycle inspection is required, and PTS will contact all program participants to schedule annual inspections.
- All Vandal Bikes are registered by PTS with the City of Moscow.
- Each program deposit includes a new bike helmet, u-lock and bike light.
- Participants who don’t intend to use their bicycle during the winter months or summer term are required to store their bicycle on campus with PTS at no additional charge. No indoor temporary storage will be available for fall or spring break, and bicycles can be secured to campus bike racks during these week-long breaks.
In addition to the light and lock provided by PTS, bike accessories (such as gear racks, panniers and more) can be added at the user's expense, per the following considerations:
- Accessories that cause the frame to be pierced or physically altered require approval by PTS PRIOR to installation and must remain attached to the bike when it is returned.
- Accessories that do not pierce or puncture the frame are acceptable without prior approval by PTS.
- Complete online application that includes agreement with program terms and conditions, and acknowledgement of risk and waiver of liability.
- Once waiver and application are completed, purchase Vandal Bike “permit” online or at the Parking Office.
- Arrange a time with PTS staff to pick-up your Vandal Bike.
Availability update as of Sept. 13, 2022
At this time, all size large Vandal Bikes have been distributed and there is a waiting list for those requesting a size large bike. As bikes are permanently returned and become available for use, PTS will reach out to students on the waiting list on a first-come, first-served basis throughout the 2022-23 academic year.
Small/medium bikes are still available at this time.