Lesson 4 — Food Flow: Keeping Food Safe from Gate to Plate
The goal is to understand the commercial food flow process from receiving through reheating, and how food safety can be either enhanced or compromised at each step.
- Recognize the steps in the commercial food service process, and be able to identify at least one food safety concern at each step.
- Know that standard operating procedures are the actions followed to ensure food is handled safely by all employees.
- Understand the different types of food allergens, and how to prevent a food allergy attack for a food service customer.
- Know that water used in food service must be from an approved source, and how to avoid a cross-connection.
The PowerPoint below contains audio and video files, please enable content in order for them to play.
- PowerPoint slides (zip) extract file onto your hard drive
- Activity handout
- Interpreting food safety icons and answer key | Teacher only
- Student fill-in notes and answer key | Teacher only