Extension Educator — Crops
University of Idaho Extension, Jerome County
600 2nd Ave W.
Jerome, ID 83338
Steven Hines is the crop educator for Jerome and Twin Falls counties. He works in the areas of forages, cereals, cover crops, farm management and farm succession.
M.S., University of Idaho, 1996
B.S., University of Idaho, 1992
- Cover crop adoption
- Interseeding cover crop with corn
- Finding cover crop species for late season planting
- Understanding practices that improve soil health
- Farm management
- Farm succession
- Hogge, J, S. Hines, J. Packham, C. Willmore, Interseeding Cover Crop into Corn for Silage, Journal of the NACAA, Vol 13, Issue 1, June 2020. ISSN 2158-9429 (1,2,3,4,5,6)
- Hines, S., Comparing Broadcast and Conventional Drill Methods for Seeding Winter Wheat, Journal of the NACAA, Vol 11, Issue 2, December 2018. (1,2,3,4,5,6)
- Norell, R., S. Hines, M. Chahine, T. Fife, M. de Haro Marti, S. Parkinson, Comparing Three Different Methods for Assessing Corn Silage Density, Journal of Extension. 2013. http://www.joe.org/joe/2013october/rb9.php. (3,5,6)
- Stokes, B., S. Hines, Field Corn Harvest Recommendations for Idaho, BUL 956, Moscow, ID: University of Idaho Extension, 2020. (1,3,4,5,6)
- Hines, S, J. Packham, C. Wilmore, G. Taylor, Contributions of Agribusiness to the Magic Valley Economy-2013, BUL 916. Moscow, ID: University of Idaho Extension 2018. (3,4,5,6)
- Golden, L., J. Hogge, S. Hines, J. Packham, C. Falen, Cover crops for grazing use in Idaho. BUL 901. Moscow, ID: University of Idaho Extension. 2016. (3,5,6)
Steven Hines is currently a Extension educator located in Jerome County. He is the crop educator for Jerome and Twin Falls counties and serves the entire region of the Magic Valley as well.
Steven’s focus is primarily forages and cover crops but he also conducts work with cereals and occasionally dry beans. He conducted the University of Idaho corn variety trials at the Kimberly Research and Extension Center farm for 10 years until his programming focus went in other directions. Steven has an interest in sustaining the soil and water resources in Idaho and the past few years has been working with farmers to demonstrate and implement soil health practices primarily through cover crop adoption. Currently Steven is conducting demonstration research interseeding cover crop into corn for silage grown on wide twin-rows.
Steven grew up on a farm in Kuna, Idaho. His family raised alfalfa, silage corn, feed barley and beef cattle. He received his bachelors in agricultural education from University of Idaho in 1992 and taught high school agriculture for eight years. While teaching Steven earned his masters in agricultural education from the University of Idaho. Steven started his Extension career with the University of Idaho where he has been a county Extension educator for 20 years. He was promoted to professor of Extension in 2013.
- Harrison, S.N., Eborn, B.M., Findlay, J.R., Hines, S., Hogge, J., Nunn, L.G. Packham, J.H., Willmore, C. Search for Excellence in Farm and Ranch Financial Management, National Award Winner, National Association of County Agricultural Agents. 2018.
- Hines, S., National Association of County Agricultural Agents, Distinguished Service Award. 2017.
- Willmore, C., S. Hines, J. Packham, G. Taylor, National Association of County Agricultural Agents, Applied Research Poster- State Winner. 2017.
- Hines, S., J. Packham, Agency Employee of the Year, Idaho Association of Soil Conservation Districts, State Award co-winners, 2015. (Nominated by the Twin Falls Soil and Water Conservation district for work with multi-species cover crops).
- Curriculum Vitae pdf