We provide plant and insect identification and diagnostic services.
UI Extension is working to keep our communities safe. All UI Extension programming for the Idaho Master Gardener Program in Latah County is being provided virtually, postponed or canceled. Therefore, our UI Extension office in Latah County is currently closed to walk-in clients at our Plant Clinic until at least May 30, 2020. However, our virtual Plant Clinic is available by email, phone and web conference, if necessary. You can also schedule an appointment to come into the office if absolutely necessary, but we ask that you try your best to submit everything online.
- To submit a virtual Plant Clinic request, please follow the guidelines below and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Volunteers will be available to respond by email twice per week during our Plant Clinic hours.
In order for us to ensure accuracy, please follow these guidelines closely. All submissions for our virtual Plant Clinic should be emailed to email@example.com.
Photo Tips for Samples and Specimens
- Place the insect specimen or plant sample onto a background that will make all the features apparent. For example, use a light background for dark insects or dark background for white flowers.
- Place a standard U.S. penny or dime next to the specimen/sample to indicate size.
- If the specimen/sample is very small (the size of a pin head or smaller), you may need to use a hand magnifying lens to get a clear picture.
- Take multiple photos to ensure good shots from a variety of angles. Be sure to include all parts of the specimen/sample.
Submitting Your Request
Please send your completed diagnostic form, along with all pictures taken and your contact information, to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions, you can email or call our office at 208-883-2267. If the sample/specimen must be brought in for proper identification/diagnosis, call 208-883-2267 and setup an appointment to visit.
View and download the forms below, then bring your sample and completed form in to the UI Extension, Latah County office:
- Plant Diagnostic Form (PDF) or (Word)
- Insect Identification (PDF)
- Tree Diagnostic Form (PDF)
- Lawn Diagnostic Form (PDF)
- Weed Identification Help (Erickson Diagnostic Laboratory)
Accurate identification, diagnosis and recommendations depend on many factors. The more information you can provide about your sample, the better we will be able to aid you.
The Plant Clinic is open throughout the growing season, beginning in May.
Tuesday, 10 a.m. to noon
Thursday, 1-4 p.m.
200 S. Almon St., Suite 201
Moscow, ID 83843