Preserve @ Home
A six-week online class for individuals who want to can and preserve foods for their families. No prior knowledge is required.
Cost: $35 per person
Next class starts on Jan. 20, 2022.
Learn how to produce high quality preserved foods. Discover the science behind food preservation and safety.
Each lesson includes information that can be downloaded and printed, an online discussion board to facilitate interaction, a real-time chat with classmates and open book lesson quizzes to assess what you learned. If you receive an 80% score or higher on the final exam, you will also get a certificate of completion.
- Causes and prevention of foodborne illness
- Spoilage and canning basics
- Canning acid food with a boiling water bath
- Canning low acid foods with a pressure canner
- Canning specialty foods (jams, jellies and preserves; salsas; pickled and fermented foods)
- Drying and freezing
- Nutritional value and cost of preserved foods
- Emergencies and disaster preparation
- High altitude canning
- Gardening for success
- Root cellaring: storing your garden harvest