Know Your Government
At the 4-H Know Your Government Conference, held each Presidents Day Weekend in Boise, teens in grades eight and nine learn about government and citizenship.
Returning teens can apply to help plan the conference or serve as news media.
KYG Delegates — Exploring Citizenship
Teens in grades eight and nine attend the 4-H Know Your Government Conference to
- learn about state government and the judicial system
- learn the rights and responsibilities of citizens in a democratic society
- participate in a mock legislative session or trial
Note: Exploring Citizenship, National Focus is for older teens attending the national conference in Washington, D.C.
Power of the Press KYG Steering Committee: Reporters, News Editor, Video Producer
Attend the 4-H Know Your Government Conference as a conference reporter or return as news editor or video producer. Steering Committee members must apply, interview, complete pre-conference assignments, attend the conference and carry out assigned responsibilities.
- Produce a news video and newsletter.
- Learn how a newspaper and TV station operate.
- Understand the role of news media in state government.
Advanced Citizenship, KYG Steering Committee: Legislator, Judge, Speaker of the House and Justice
Return a third or fourth year to help plan the conference as a member of the conference steering committee. Committee members must apply, interview, complete pre-conference assignments, attend the conference and carry out assigned responsibilities.