B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Studying Modern Machines
Mechanical engineering plays an important role in nearly every industry, and in this program you will learn how to apply math, science and engineering skills to research, design, develop and test devices and processes that solve problems. Students have opportunities to put their skills into real-world practice.
- Power Generation
- Aircraft Design and Development
- Engine and Powertrain Design
- Additive Manufacturing (3D printing)
- Robotics and Automation
- Bio-mechanics and Mechanics of Materials
- Lean Manufacturing Systems
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Computer-Aided Design and Simulation
- Thermodynamics and Combustion
- Renewable Energy Systems
- Production Realization and Entrepreneurship
- Idaho’s Best Value College – the only public college in Idaho to be ranked a best value college by Forbes, Money, U.S. News and World Report and The Princeton Review.
- Top 7 in the Nation for “infusing real-world experiences into engineering education” through our undergraduate Senior Capstone Design Program – National Academy of Engineering
- Personalized Attention from nationally and internationally recognized faculty and staff through small class sizes, 1-on-1 interaction, mentorship, advising and research collaboration. Most faculty hold Ph.D.s in their field.
- Highest Early-Career Salary Earnings of any 4-year public college in Idaho for undergraduate degree recipients – Payscale
- More than $30M in Scholarships U of I awards more scholarships than any 4-year public college in Idaho. – 2019/20 Financial Aid Data
- 98% Graduate with a Job or are enrolled in graduate education – Career Outcomes Survey
- Hands-On Experience, Guaranteed ALL U of I College of Engineering students participate in hands-on experiences, through our nationally recognized Senior Capstone Design Program and Engineering Design EXPO, Cooperative Education Program (Co-op), Idaho’s only Grand Challenge Scholars Program and paid undergraduate assistantships.
The Mechanical Engineering undergraduate degree program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
Design, Build, Celebrate
U of I cross-college and campus collaboration brings 150 LED triangles to Vandal Marching Band’s 100th anniversary halftime performance.