B.S. Mechanical Engineering
Studying Modern Machines
Mechanical engineering plays an important role in nearly every industry, and in this program you will learn how to apply math, science and engineering skills to research, design, develop and test devices and processes that solve problems. Students have opportunities to put their skills into real-world practice.
- Power Generation
- Aircraft Design and Development
- Engine and Powertrain Design
- Additive Manufacturing (3D printing)
- Robotics and Automation
- Bio-mechanics and Mechanics of Materials
- Lean Manufacturing Systems
- Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Computer-Aided Design and Simulation
- Thermodynamics and Combustion
- Renewable Energy Systems
- Production Realization and Entrepreneurship
- No. 1 Best Value Public University in the West – ranked for the second year in a row by U.S. News and World Report. We’re also the only public university in Idaho to be ranked best value by Forbes, Money, and The Princeton Review.
- Top 7 in the Nation for “infusing real-world experiences into engineering education” through our undergraduate Senior Capstone Design Program – National Academy of Engineering
- Personalized Attention from nationally and internationally recognized faculty and staff through small class sizes, 1-on-1 interaction, mentorship, advising and research collaboration. All faculty hold Ph.D.s in their field.
- 90% Graduate with Jobs or are enrolled in graduate education or military service – First Destination Survey
- Highest Salary Earnings for early- and mid-career undergraduate degree recipients than any other public university in Idaho – Payscale
- More Scholarships Awarded than any 4-year public engineering college in Idaho. – 2020/21 Financial Aid Data
- Hands-On Experience, Guaranteed ALL U of I College of Engineering students participate in hands-on experiences, through our nationally recognized Senior Capstone Design Program and Engineering Design EXPO, Cooperative Education Program (Co-op), Idaho’s only Grand Challenge Scholars Program and paid undergraduate assistantships.
The Mechanical Engineering undergraduate degree program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
Vandals Deliver A Life-Saving Gift
Engineering, WWAMI Medical students build assistive CPR device to help more users, and those with disabilities, successfully perform CPR.