The Equity and Social Justice Workgroup have collected a comprehensive list of resources related toward redressing racism in America. The resources linked below are grouped by category.
The Diverse Dialogues series invites diverse voices to discuss transformative efforts in promoting equity and social justice through topics that ask higher education to think critically about the role of diversity, representation, justice, and well-being through learning.
Resources Toward Redressing Racism in America
- Ahmed, S. (2012). On Being Included: Racism and Diversity in Institutional Life. Durham: Duke University Press.
- Bonner, F. A., Marbley, A. F., Tuitt, F., Robinson, P. A., Banda, R. M., & Hughes, R. L. (2014). Black Faculty in the Academy: Narratives for Negotiating Identity and Achieving Career Success (1st ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Harris, M., Sellers, S. L., Clerge, O., & Gooding Jr., F. W. (2017). Stories from the Front of the Room: How Higher Education Faculty of Color Overcome Challenges and Thrive in the Academy. Rowman & Littlefield.
- Hartlep, N. D. (2019). Racial Battle Fatigue in Faculty (Diverse Faculty in the Academy) (1st ed.). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Jackson, S., & Johnson, R. G. (2010). The Black Professoriate: Negotiating a Habitable Space in the Academy (Black Studies and Critical Thinking) (1st ed.). New York: P. Lang.
- Jacobs, L., Cintrón, J., & Canton, C. E. (2002). See this image The Politics of Survival in Academia: Narratives of Inequity, Resilience, and Success (Immigration and the Transnational Experience Series). Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Mabokela, R. O., & Green, A. L. (2001). Sisters of the Academy: Emergent Black Women Scholars in Higher Education. Sterling, VA: Stylus Pub.
- Matthew, P. A. (2016). Written/Unwritten: Diversity and the Hidden Truths of Tenure (1st ed.). Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.
- Newkirk, P. (2019). Diversity, Inc: The Failed Promise of a Billion-Dollar Business. PublicAffairs.
- Rockquemore, K., & Laszloffy, T. A. (2008). The Black Academic's Guide to Winning Tenure--Without Losing Your Soul. Boulder: Lynne Rienner.
- Thompson, G. L., Bonner, F. A., & Lewis, C. W. (2015). Reaching the Mountaintop of the Academy: Personal Narratives, Advice and Strategies From Black Distinguished and Endowed Professors (HC) (Contemporary Perspectives on Access, Equity, and Achievement). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation (TRHT) Campus Centers
- Higher Education’s Role in Promoting Racial Healing and the Power of Wonder
- Higher Ed on role of race consciousness in higher education
- Race in the academy
- White fragility in education and society (Dr. Robin DiAngelo)
- Critical Race Theory in Education (talk by Dr. Gloria Ladson-Billings, 2015)
- Reading list of resources to educate about the history of institutionalize racism in the US: Institutionalized Racism: A Syllabus
- The Privilege Institute (Professional development institute)
- “Talking about Race 101” in higher education
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Releases “Talking About Race” Web Portal
- Why you should stop saying “all lives matter,” explained in 9 different ways
- 26 Ways to Be in the Struggle Beyond the Streets
- Education Week: But I’m Not a Protester. What Can I Do?
- ACLU: Know your rights while demanding justice for George Floyd
- This American Life (WBEZ) “It’ll make sense when you’re older” (Sasheer Zamata)
- Cracking the Codes: The system of racial inequality
- Race – The power of an illusion (PBS documentary)
- Anti-Racism resources for all ages (created by Dr. Nicole Cook)
- Structural racism and Anti-blackness in the academy
- Culturally/Historically Responsive Pedagogy, by STEMinLITeracy group
- Embrace Race
- American Anthropology Association - The Race Project
- Scaffolded anti-racism resources
- Resource Guide for courageous conversations about race in schools
- Bettina Love on racial disparities in educational achievement
- The 1619 Project Curriculum (K-12)
- Tools for Anti-Racist Teaching, by Public Broadcasting Services (PBS)
- Pollock, M. (2008). Everyday antiracism: Getting real about race in school. The New Press
- Pollock, M. (2017) Schooltalk: Rethinking what we say to and about students everyday. The New Press
- Kendi, I. (2019). How to be an anti-racist. Random House Publishing
- Kendi, I. (2016). Stamped from the beginning: The definitive history of racist ideas in America. Nation Books
- Jason Reynolds and Ibram X. Kendi, Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You: A Remix of the National Book Award-winning Stamped From the Beginning (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers)
- Tomi Adeyemi. Children of Blood and Bone & Children of Virtue and Vengeance