Hayley B. McKown, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Physical Education
875 Perimeter Dr.
Moscow, ID 83844-2401
- Ph.D., University of Hawaii at Manoa, Curriculum Studies — Physical Activity and Health, 2021
- M.S., University of Utah, Exercise and Sport Science — Sport Pedagogy, 2017
- B.S., Brigham Young University, Provo, Physical Education Teacher Education/Coaching, 2012
Dr. Hayley B. McKown is originally from Arizona. Attended schools in Utah, Michigan, and Hawaii. She taught Physical Education and Health in the K-12 setting while in Utah. She completed a church service mission in Hong Kong and can speak Cantonese conversationally.
Research interests surround improving children/youth health in different capacities and for all abilities. She is an avid outdoorswoman, with a love of rock climbing, biking, snowboarding, fishing, camping, the list goes on for miles. Contact her via email, phone, or drop by her office!
- Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC)
- Comprehensive School Physical Activity Programs (CSPAP)
- Teacher Education/Teacher Preparation
- Health Education, Inclusive Physical Education Programming/Adaptive Physical Education (APE)
- McKown, H. B., Centeio, E. E., Barcelona, J., Erwin, H., Pedder, C., & Moore, E. W. G. (under review). Exploring classroom teachers efficacy toward implementing physical activity breaks in the classroom.
- Centeio, E. E., Erwin, E. Barcelona, J., & McKown, H. B. (2021). Chapter 1: Implementing Before and After-School Physical Activity Programs within the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child Framework. In R. Marttinen, E. E. Centeio, & T. Quarmby (Eds). Before and after-school physical activity programs: Frameworks, critical issues and underserved populations (pp. 9-21). Routledge.
- Ketcheson, L. R., Centeio, E. E., Snapp, E. E., McKown, H. B., & Martin, J. (2021). Physical activity and motor skill outcomes of a 10-week intervention for children with intellectual and developmental disabilities ages 4 – 13: A pilot study. Disability and Health Journal, 14(1), 100952. doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2020.100952
- McKown, H. B., Brusseau, T. A., Burns, R. D., & Galli, N. A. (2019). The effect of physical education teacher physical appearance on student physical activity. The Physical Educator, 76(2), 524-546.