Office of Equity and Diversity
The Office of Equity and Diversity promotes access and inclusion through policy implementation, programs, and services for cultural and diverse populations. We collaborate with faculty, staff, and students to develop an intentional, culturally literate, and responsive community founded on respect for the individual and the collective. We are committed to ensuring bias-free, safe spaces for our entire Vandal family, to achieve our university’s mission of focused and inclusive excellence.
Our Core Values
- Cultural Responsiveness – We learn, model and teach skilled interactions with people of different cultures, promoting principles of cultural humility that support multiple world views, perspectives, and practices.
- Access – We work strategically to create and promote broad educational experiences in which all individuals can fully participate.
- Equity – We lead institutional efforts to address equity gaps by promoting access, inclusion, and resource development for our university community.
- Integrity – We exemplify ethical actions, language, and conduct that acknowledge, respect, and honor the humanity and value of every person.
- Safety – We strive to foster a safe and inclusive environment for individuals of all identities to feel acknowledged and supported.
The Equity and Diversity Unit offers presentations and workshops, which explore various diversity issues, address barriers and stereotypes and celebrate differences and commonalities among all people and cultures. These learning opportunities teach our community how to respond appropriately when faced with discrimination or harassment and seek to promote the University’s commitment to a more inclusive climate of mutual respect and understanding.