Chemical Waste Collection Request Guides
Quick Reference Guide
Access the Chemical Waste Collection Request Form on the EHS website by hovering over the “I Want To” box in the upper right corner. Select “Request Hazardous Waste Collection."
Log in with your U of I username and password. Be sure to use your username and not your full email address. For example, use “safety,” not “firstname.lastname@example.org."
Complete the Chemical Waste Collection Request form. For any value that you select Other, enter an appropriate description in the corresponding field. Review your information for accuracy and submit.
If the system indicates that an error has occurred, it will display a red asterisk next to the field that requires correction and a message will appear just above the Generator Information block to explain what action you must take.
Print the label using the Print button when prompted. Cut it out and attach it securely to the container.
Check your e-mail inbox for a receipt of your waste collection request. Though not the preferred method, you may print a copy of the email receipt to use as a label if you forget to print the label immediately after submitting the request.
Access the Chemical Waste Collection Request Form through the EHS website by hovering over the “I Want To” box in the upper right corner. Select “Request Hazardous Waste Collection."
Log in with your U of I username and password. Be sure to use your username and not your full email address. For example, use “safety,” not “email@example.com." If you are having issues with logging in, try using a different browser or contact OIT for help.
- Check Generator Information for accuracy and edit if necessary.
- If you are submitting a collection request from one of the R&E Centers or branch campuses, select the appropriate Facility from the drop-down menu.
- Using the Building drop-down menu, select the building where the waste is located.
- Enter the Room Number where the waste is located. Enter the number only; do NOT add additional information in this field like “in hood” or the word “room,” etc.; enter it in the Additional Information field.
- Choose the Satellite Accumulation Area (SAA) ID corresponding to the room where the waste is stored. The SAA ID can be found printed on a neon sticker on the SAA sign in the area where waste is accumulated. If you don’t have an SAA ID, choose Unknown (contact EHS if you regularly generate waste and don’t have an SAA ID).
- Click in the Chemical Name/Constituents field to enter the first waste constituent (see additional instructions on the form).
- Click in the Percentage field and enter the constituent’s concentration in percent (numerical value only, do NOT add the % symbol here).
- Click Add. (Additional blank fields will appear for the next constituent name and percentage if needed).
- Continue entering chemical names and percentages, clicking Add after each one. The final percentage must equal 100 or you will receive an error message.
- If you enter an incorrect chemical name or percentage, etc., use the Edit button to correct it. After the correction is made, select the Update button for that constituent.
- When selecting the Container Size using the drop-down menu and the correct size is not listed, select Other and enter a value and unit.
- Select the Container Type using the drop-down menu. If the correct type is not listed, select Other and enter a short description.
- Select the Physical State using the drop-down menu. If the correct physical state is not listed, select Other and enter a description.
- Enter a numerical value for the Total Quantity in kilograms only (1 lb = 0.454 kg and 1 oz = 0.028 kg).
- Select the pH using the drop-down menu. Select N/A only if the waste material is a solid or non-aqueous. If the waste is known or suspected to contain acids or bases, determine the pH using a pH probe or pH paper, and choose the appropriate entry.
- Select all Chemical Hazards that accurately apply to the waste. Use the Other Hazards field if needed.
- Enter any Additional Information. For example, you may want to specify where the waste is stored in the room. Do not enter waste components or constituents in this field. If you are submitting chemically contaminated sharps or other contaminated solid waste, describe the contaminated articles here, e.g. pipette tips, gloves, etc. If you are submitting a chemical product, enter the manufacturer information here.
Review the information you have entered. If necessary, you may edit the entries at this stage of the process. When all is correct, click the Submit Request button and a confirmation message will appear. Click OK to submit the waste or Cancel if corrections are needed or you have decided not to enter it.
NOTE: If the system indicates that an error has occurred, it will display a red colored asterisk next to the field that requires correction; and a message will appear just above the Generator Information block to explain what action you must take.
After the submittal goes through, a new page will appear with the instruction “Please print the label below and attach to the container." Select the highlighted Print button and a new window will appear displaying the label for printing it.
IMPORTANT!! This label is specific to the container for which you entered the information. You must submit a new request and print a new label for each container. If this label does not appear on the container, it will not be collected by EHS staff.
Close the print window.
You will now have three options:
- Log Out to exit the Chemical Waste Collection Request system; or
- Submit another request for a different waste material; or
- Submit another request for an identical container, which allows you to submit another waste container with a waste composition similar or identical to the one previously submitted. Edit the new entry as necessary.
Check your e-mail inbox for a receipt of your waste collection request. Though not the preferred method, you may print a copy of the e-mail receipt to use as a label if you forget to print the label immediately after submitting the request.
REMEMBER: The Chemical Waste Collection Request system will accept only one container per request. Additional containers require additional requests.
NOTE: If the request to print a label does not appear, or you do not receive an email confirmation, the request did not go through and EHS will not collect the waste because EHS does not know it exists.
ADDITIONAL HELP: If you need a copy of your waste collection submittal or other assistance, contact Environmental Health and Safety at firstname.lastname@example.org or 208-885-6524.