Emergency Response Team
The University of Idaho maintains an Emergency Response Team (UIERT) through the office of Environmental Health and Safety. The team is trained and equipped to handle most incidents that may occur on campus. We also have an agreement with the City of Moscow to respond to other incidents in the city as requested.
Call 911 to activate this service through WhitCom.
Activation of the UIERT can only be done by the Incident Commander acting for the City of Moscow. The Incident Commander will need to know what type of hazardous material is involved (e.g., chemical, radioactive or biohazardous material), if the information is available. If the material cannot be identified, call-out procedures for a chemical spill will be used.
Upon receiving notification of a hazardous material incident, WhitCom follows the procedure below:
- Call-out during business hours: Activation of the team during normal working day (8:00 am – 5 pm, Monday through Friday, during the school year; and 7:30 am – 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, during the summer) involves calling the Environmental Health & Safety Office at 208-885-6524.
- Call-out during non-business hours (after-hours, weekends and holidays): Follow these call-out procedures for incidents occurring during the weekends, holidays, or after-hours (use the call-out list appropriate for the incident):
- Levels of Response
- Level 3 (Minor Emergency) Response – Call down the list of UIERT members below; attempt to contact four (4) team members that are able to respond to the incident. Inform the Incident Commander of the number of responders contacted and confirmed as responding to the incident.
- Level 2 (Major Emergency) and Level 1 (Disaster) Response – For a response to an incident more serious than Level 3, contact as many team members listed below as possible; relay the number of confirmed responding team members to the Incident Commander. Wait for further instruction.
- Individual Call-Out Lists
Individual call out lists are held by appropriate emergency responders, including Environmental Health and Safety, Campus Security and Emergency Management and Security Services, as well as WhitCom.