Emergency Response to Hazardous Materials Incidents
What service do we offer?
Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) personnel have received training and have the equipment necessary to properly respond to a hazardous materials incident. EHS works closely with the Moscow Fire Department in coordinating the response. If necessary, additional resources can be directed to the scene, including such agencies as the Regional Hazardous Materials Response Team in Lewiston, ID.
How you can help
- If the hazardous material spill is "small" (usually less than one liter), AND you know and understand the hazards associated with the material, AND you have the proper personal protective equipment available, proceed with containment and cleanup. Remember, the spill cleanup material may be considered a hazardous waste and must be disposed of properly.
- If the hazardous material spill is too large, too hazardous, or beyond your response capabilities, call 911 immediately. Also contact the Environmental Health and Safety Office at 208-885-6524. Please provide the following information:
- Your name;
- Location of the incident;
- Hazardous material(s) involved; and
- Any other pertinent information.
- Serious Injury, Fire, or Explosion - If the hazardous material incident involves serious injury or exposure, a fire and/or explosion, call 911 before calling the Environmental Health and Safety Office at 208-885-6524. Please provide the same information listed above.
- If the situation requires immediate evacuation, pull the building fire alarm and leave the building. Contact the first responder or fire chief when he or she arrives to explain the situation and provide additional information.
REMEMBER: Do Not Endanger Yourself!
Note: All incidents involving a release of hazardous materials directly into the environment (i.e. into a body of water or onto the ground) must be reported to EHS immediately.
Related Training in NetLearning@uidaho
- Hazardous Waste Management Workshop (UIC_87)
- Hazardous Waste Management Workshop for Facilities (UIC_233)
- DOT Hazardous Materials (DT09)
- DOT Security Training (DX09)
- Universal Waste Management Workshop (UIC_186)
For more information
Hazardous Materials Specialist
Hazardous Materials Technician