Part 410: Acquisition of Radiation-Producing Equipment
- 410.10 Introduction
- 410.20 Ordering Radiation-Producing Equipment
- 410.30 Transfer of Radiation-Producing Equipment
- 410.40 Surplus or Donated Radiation-Producing Equipment
- 410.50 Exempt Radiation-Producing Equipment
Radiation-producing equipment may be obtained by several methods. Equipment may be purchased from commercial vendors, may be surplus or donated, transferred from one user to another, or transferred from another institution or organization to the University of Idaho.
Regardless of the method used to acquire radiation-producing equipment, users must have authorization from the Radiation Safety Committee or written permission from the radiation safety officer before they can obtain radiation-producing equipment.
Personnel who have received authorization from the Radiation Safety Committee to use radiation-producing equipment can order equipment by complying with the following steps:
- Complete a requisition describing the radiation-producing equipment to be ordered. Type "RADIATION-PRODUCING EQUIPMENT" on the first line in the Description section of the requisition form. Departmental Purchase Orders (DPOs) may not be used to order radiation-producing equipment.
- Complete the Permit to Purchase Radiation-Producing Equipment Form RSM-2E and attach to the requisition.
- Obtain the signature of the radiation safety officer.
- Follow the normal procedures for processing a requisition.
- For those departments processing requisitions electronically, complete the Permit to Purchase Radiation-Producing Equipment Form RSM-2E, obtain the radiation safety officer signature, and forward the form to Purchasing Services. Purchasing Services will match the requisition with the Permit to Purchase Radiation-Producing Equipment form.
- It shall be the responsibility of Purchasing Services to ensure all requisitions are accompanied by a completed Permit to Purchase Radiation-Producing Equipment Form RSM-2E before issuing a purchase order. The purchase order should be addressed to the authorized user.
- Radiation-producing equipment may be transferred from an authorized user to the radiation safety officer.
- Radiation-producing equipment may be transferred from one user to another upon written approval of the radiation safety officer, providing the receiving user is authorized to use the radiation-producing equipment being transferred.
- Approval from the radiation safety officer shall be required before transferring radiation-producing equipment to or away from the University of Idaho.
Personnel obtaining surplus or donated radiation-producing equipment shall obtain approval from the radiation safety officer before acquiring this equipment. The radiation safety officer shall ensure the university is licensed to possess this radiation-producing equipment and shall determine if it is in the best interests of the university to accept this equipment.
Certain radiation-producing equipment is considered exempt by the Idaho Radiation Control Regulations. Contact the radiation safety officer for additional information.