How to Choose a Law School
There are 200 ABA approved law schools in the country. One of the best ways to choose a law school is to visit the campus, talk to students, faculty, and others. You want to make sure that the law school is the right fit for you. Some things to consider include: Do you want to be in a big city or smaller town? How close or far from home do you want to be while in law school? Does the law school have a specialized program in an area of interest? Did you get a competitive scholarship offer from the school? This article at dummies.com discusses some of things to consider when deciding which law schools to apply to. LSAC also offer some helpful advice on how to choose a law school here.
Use the following websites to learn more about law schools that you might consider applying to, including statistics on admissions, job placement, bar pass rates, cost of attendance, financial aid, and more.
- ABA Required Disclosures – The ABA Standard 509 Disclosure provides the most up to date information on every law school including data relating to the number of applications, offers of acceptance, LSAT and GPA profile, bar passage rates and job placement rates.
- XploreJD by AccessLex – This is a free, online search tool offering aspiring law students a data-based approach to finding law schools that best meet their criteria.
- Analytix by AccessLex – Use this tool to analyze, research and compare law school-specific information with ease. Analytix puts employment rates, outcomes, bar passage rates, cost, selectivity and more into clear, accessible, and actionable displays.
- LST Wizard by Law School Transparency – Use this tool to help you find which law school is right for you. The site will also create a custom ranking of schools for you, predict your admissions chances, and flag schools that may not meet your needs.
- LST Law School List – LST also has a list of U.S. law schools with all the relevant data that allows you to compare multiple schools at a glance.
- LSAC Official Guide to ABA-Approved Law Schools – Use this tool to search ABA-Approved Law Schools, geographically, alphabetically, and by GPA & LSAT admissions statistics.