University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

Contact Us

Trademark and Licensing

Mailing Address:
710 S Deakin Street
Moscow, ID 83843

Phone: 208-885-6469


Google Maps

Use of Trademarks

No one other than U of I may claim copyright or trademark rights in or seek to register any design that uses Idaho trademarks.

Each use of a U of I trademark requires approval. Approval to use a trademark for a one-time application only (i.e. on a t-shirt) does not constitute approval to use the trademark again, or in connection with any other item, or to change the design in any way.

University trademarks may not be altered in any way.

U of I trademarks may not be used in conjunction with the name or trademark(s) of any other entity without the prior written permission of that entity. If permission is granted by the UITL to use both U of I trademark and another party’s trademark in a design, the trademarks must be distinct and separate from each other, and U of I’s trademarks must not be overshadowed or diminished in any way in comparison to the other entity’s trademark. Approval of any such dual use of U of I trademarks will be limited to instances where there is a compelling institutional priority in allowing such a use.

U of I trademarks may not be used in any manner that suggests or implies U of I’s endorsement of other organizations, companies, products, services, political parties or views, or religious organizations or beliefs.

U of I trademarks may not be used in any way that discriminates or implies discrimination against any persons or groups based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or military status or in any other way that would be a violation of Idaho’s non-discrimination policies or practices.

All uses of U of I trademarks on commercial products will incorporate the appropriate trademark designation symbols. In certain circumstances an indicia statement will be allowed to be used instead of the registration marks. Registration marks are not required when trademarks are used by university departments in printed materials. Exemptions to this policy on other university items will be made on a case-by-case basis.

The UITL will not approve the use of its trademarks on certain types of products. These include, but are not limited to the following

  • Stationery — business-size, letterhead paper
  • Inherently Dangerous Products — such as firearms, explosives and fuels.
  • Tobacco-related products;
  • Illegal drug-related products;
  • Obscene or Disparaging Products — including, but not limited to, nude photographs, caricature poster art or designs that would tend to damage the reputation or degrade the goodwill of U of I as represented by the trademarks;
  • Sexually Suggestive Products — including, but not limited to, inappropriate slogans imprinted on clothing and the configuration of certain novelty items;
  • Products that present an unacceptable risk of liability;
  • Products that are harmful to the mission or image of U of I.

  • University trademarks may be used on the cover or within the text of a publication when there is an article about U of I, its officers, students or alumni.
  • University marks may be used in sports publications approved by U of I Athletics or designee, providing the publisher agrees to include the following disclaimer in the publication: “Not an Official Publication of the University of Idaho”
  • University marks may be used in literary works that generally provide historical information about and promote the goodwill of U of I. Trademarks may be licensed for such use by permission letter after review by the appropriate institutional officers, including the UITL.
  • Schedule cards or posters that include U of I’s name, but no logos or slogans, are not subject to licensing fees and are considered for informational use.

Use of U of I trademarks in advertising requires prior approval (except as otherwise noted) from the UITL. U of I trademarks may, with approval by UITL, be used in the following kinds of advertising:

  • By a commercial entity that is a licensee of U of I, but only when there is an underlying related product that is licensed and only when the licensed product is being advertised (approval granted through license agreement). Retailers or licensed manufacturers may use pictures in advertisements showing licensed products with university indicia for sale.
  • By a commercial entity in ads that are of an informational, congratulatory or team spirit nature. These ads may not contain solicitation for the sale of their products or services but the company name/logo may appear.
  • In corporate advertisements in official programs sold or distributed at athletic events, subject to terms of an Advertising Agreement.
  • In promotional activities pursuant to the terms of a Sponsor/Promotional License Agreement. Promotional activities are activities such as advertising or offering promotional products to further the growth, development, acceptance and/or sale of goods or services.
  • By companies that have done work for U of I. The company may list the university name with other customers. These companies may include photographs of the actual work area, provided the campus department who contracted the work approves of such use.

Certain artwork or designs will not be approved for use in conjunction with U of I trademarks. These include, but are not limited to:

  • Art depicting or implying the use or endorsement of
    • Illegal drugs
    • Tobacco products
    • Firearms or other weapons
    • Racist, sexist, hateful, demeaning or degrading language or statements
    • Profanity
    • Sexual acts
    • Statements impugning other universities
  • Art or a design which gives the impression of being the official university seal
  • Art or a design incorporating trademarks or copyrights not owned by U of I, unless written permission for such use, satisfactory in form and substance to U of I, is obtained from the trademark holder or copyright owner and approved in advance by the UITL or its agent

Use of University trademarks by high schools, middle schools and elementary schools will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Such use must be licensed with a written agreement in place between the two parties.

Use of U of I trademarks by organizations that are not affiliated with U of I will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. The following guidelines generally apply:

  • Businesses may use U of I trademarks in a non-permanent fixture (e.g., window painting, removable lettering on marquees) supporting a university event. Such displays may not contain solicitation for the sale of their products or services but the company name/logo may appear.
  • Businesses may not establish a permanent statue or mural that includes U of I trademarks or likeness without written permission from the UITL.
  • Businesses, individuals or organizations may not use the trademarks of U of I on websites without written permission from the UITL.
  • Individuals or organizations may not use U of I’s trademarks in conjunction with a candidate for political office or policy/legislative issue.
  • With the exception of certain businesses that were established prior to U of I’s licensing program, private and/or corporate businesses may not use university trademarks in their business name.

Any and all uses of the names, numbers and/or images of U of I student-athletes and coaches must comply with U of I policies and NCAA regulations. Questions should be directed to the UITL, who will consult as appropriate with U of I Athletics.

The U of I Athletic Department has the option of hosting Coaches Camps in-house or through a separate company owned by the coaches. As sport camps that are put on by the Athletic Coaches are not a part of U of I, a license agreement must be signed prior to the beginning of the camp season. This license outlines how the U of I trademarks may be used. Contact U of I Trademark and Licensing to request a license.

Any special events featuring University trademarks, including NCAA Championships, bowl games, rivalry series, and single events follow the same guidelines as uses of other University trademarks. Depending on the special event, additional policies and guidelines may apply.

Any entity wishing to use the U of I fight song, “Go, Vandals, Go” or other music recorded by the Vandal Marching Band, for commercial or other purposes must obtain permission through the UITL. Commercial uses are subject to licensing fees.

For information regarding licensing of University of Idaho video and photography, please contact:

Video Production Center

Photographic Services

U of I reserves the right to disapprove any use of its trademarks, even if such use is not explicitly prohibited by this policy or these guidelines. In instances where there is uncertainty regarding the appropriate use of any Idaho trademarks, the Director of Trademark and Licensing will consult with the Executive Director of University Communications and Marketing and/or the Office of General Counsel.

Contact Us

Trademark and Licensing

Mailing Address:
710 S Deakin Street
Moscow, ID 83843

Phone: 208-885-6469


Google Maps