Costs and Scholarships
Total Cost of Attendance for International Students
Invitation to Idaho Scholarship
The Invitation to Idaho Scholarship is an award for qualified new, first-time freshmen and transfer students pursuing their first bachelor’s degree in Fall 2020 who meet the specific criteria listed below. The Invitation to Idaho Scholarship results in a savings of over $15,084 for the 2020-2021 academic year.
The award is renewable up to four years of undergraduate enrollment for first year recipients with a 2.5 minimum University of Idaho cumulative GPA. For transfer students the award is renewable up to three additional years depending on the number of transfer credits with a minimum University of Idaho GPA.
The Invitation to Idaho cannot be combined with WUE or the Discover scholarship. It is only available to nonresident students.
First Year Students Fall 2020
If you are:
- A new, first-time freshman admitted to the University of Idaho
- Pursuing your first bachelor's degree
- Have an incoming GPA of 3.0 or higher
- A resident of a non WUE state or an international student
Then you are automatically eligible to receive the Invitation to Idaho Scholarship when filling out an application for admission.
There is no separate application for the Invitation to Idaho award.
This award will be available to you for a total of four years by maintaining continuous enrollment and a 2.5 cumulative U of I GPA.
Recipients of the award cannot simultaneously receive WUE or the Discover Idaho! scholarship.
There is no deadline to complete the admission application and be considered for this award.
#YouAreWelcomeHere Scholarship Application
The #YouAreWelcomeHere Scholarship was developed as a result of U.S. higher education institutions’ commitment to providing a welcoming, safe and diverse environment to international students. The University of Idaho is proud to support this initiative by offering two annual, renewable scholarships for up to four years of study that are worth 50% tuition at the time of initial matriculation. The scholarships are open to first-year international students admitted for undergraduate degree-seeking study at the University of Idaho and may not be combined with Discover Idaho scholarships. Successful applicants will be dedicated to furthering the #YouAreWelcomeHere message by bridging intercultural divides. Applicants will submit a 500-1000 word written essay or a two to five minute video about their leadership skills and ideas for utilizing those skills to advance intercultural learning and understanding at the University of Idaho.
- Be a first-year international applicant to University of Idaho.
- Attend (or have graduated from) a secondary school outside of the United States.
- Demonstrate interest and personal initiative in activities involving intercultural learning and exchange.
- Complete a scholarship application and a 500-1000 word essay or a two-to-five minute video describing their aspirations to conduct projects, research, employment, or other experiences that will advance intercultural learning.
How to Apply
- Apply for admission to U of I by March 1, 2020.
- Submit the one-page #YouAreWelcomeHere application online or by filling out this PDF and emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 1, 2020.
- Scholarship can be renewed for up to four years (Fall and Spring semesters only).
- Participate in a minimum of 10 hours per semester of cultural sharing and engagement with the local community through an internship with the International Programs Office.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.
- Enroll and successfully complete a minimum of 12 credits (exception may be granted) for Fall and Spring semesters.
- Apply for Admission to University of Idaho: March 1, 2020
- Submit Scholarship Application: April 1, 2020
Graduate students are encouraged to apply to their department for a Teaching Assistantship (TA) or a Research Assistantship (RA). Each department is responsible for awarding their own TAs and/or RAs. Please discuss TA and RA opportunities with your department. More information can also be found here.