University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

J-1 Exchange Students

J-1 exchange students visit the University of Idaho as full-time students for a period of usually one or two semesters pursuant to a formal reciprocal exchange agreement between the University of Idaho and their home institution or with an exchange organization of which the University of Idaho is a member (such as ISEP, the International Student Exchange Program). J-1 exchange students must engage in a full-time course of study unless specifically granted permission to drop below full-time by International Services. Exchange students must also maintain adequate health insurance coverage that meets the U.S. Dept. of State requirements.

Exchange students must demonstrate the availability of adequate funding to cover the cost of living in Moscow, Idaho.

This information is not intended for students from universities with which the University of Idaho does not have an exchange agreement or students who wish to complete a degree at the University of Idaho. Those students should go to Admissions, which provides information to international students who wish to pursue a degree at the University of Idaho.

J-1 student status might be possible if one of the following conditions is met:

  • You or your program is financed directly or indirectly by the U.S. government, your home government, or an international organization of which the U.S. is a member;
  • The exchange program is based on an agreement between the U.S. and another government;
  • The exchange program is based on a written agreement between: a) the University of Idaho and a foreign educational institution, b) the University of Idaho and a foreign government, or c) a U.S. state or local government and a foreign government; or
  • You are supported substantially by funding from any source other than personal or family funds.

After being admitted to the University, students are asked to provide a Form DS-2019 at their visa interview. International Services will only issue Form DS-2019 for J-1 status once it confirms the following:

  • The student has proficiency in the English language;
  • The student demonstrates that he or she has funding to cover the cost of attending the University of Idaho; and
  • The application and all required supporting documents are received and original.

Citizens of countries with an official language of English are not required to demonstrate English language proficiency. Proficiency in the English language is most often demonstrated through standardized testing.

Once an international student receives Form DS-2019 he or she may apply for an F-1 visa stamp. If residing in the U.S. in an eligible nonimmigrant status, a student may also change status in the U.S.

All J-1 students must pursue a full-time course of study unless otherwise specifically authorized by International Services and sponsoring agency. International Services must be informed of and approve of any drop below full time. Full-time status for undergraduates is 12 credit hours per semester. Full-time status for graduate students is 9 credit hours per semester.

Once you have determined you are eligible to study on exchange at the University of Idaho, you must fill out the forms below that pertain to your school, length of exchange and level of studies. Exchange students must demonstrate the availability of adequate funding to cover the cost of living in Moscow, Idaho. Submit the completed application, along with the accompanying documents, to your home university’s International Programs or Exchange Office (ISEP students must apply through their home school ISEP coordinator). If your application is accepted by them, they will forward it to the University of Idaho. If your application is accepted by our office and the University of Idaho Admissions Office, we will send you an acceptance letter and the immigration documents necessary to apply for your student visa, as well as the appropriate registration, housing and arrival information.

Type of Studies Fall Application
Spring Application
Summer Application
ALCP July 1 November 15 April 15
Regular University Courses Priority: March 15
Final: May 15
Priority: October 1
Final: October 15
Priority/Final: February 15

Please complete all forms and print them to sign and turn into your International Programs Office. (These PDFs contain fillable forms, please type all of the information you can.)

Application Forms for students who meet our English Language Requirements

Exchange students who do not meet the University of Idaho English Language Requirements can still study on exchange at the University of Idaho by attending our American Language & Culture Program.

Application Forms for Exchange Students who will take the American Language & Culture Program (ALCP):

The following list includes those international universities with which the University of Idaho has a reciprocal exchange agreement in place, allowing for the "exchange" of students for a semester or year, and at times, a summer. If your home university appears on this list, you should contact the staff at the International Programs/Exchange Office at your home university in order to inquire about the policies and procedures required for application and to ask about exchange space availability.

Australia: University of the Sunshine Coast
China: University of Nottingham, Ningbo
Costa Rica: CATIE
Denmark: Faculty of Life Science (LIFE) at the University of Copenhagen
Denmark: University of Southern Denmark
England: School of Sport and Service Management at the University of Brighton
England: Lancaster University
England: Regent’s University, London
Finland: Tampere University of Technology
France: INSEEC Business School
France: Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble
Germany: Hochschule fur Technik und Wirtschaft, Berlin
Japan: Nagasaki University of Foreign Studies
Japan: Ryukoku University
Kenya: Kenya Methodist University (KEMU)
Mexico: Universidad Autónoma de Guadalajara
Mexico: Universidad Autónoma de la Yucatan
Morocco: Al Akhawayn University, Ifrane (AUI)
Netherlands: The Hague University
Nepal: SANN Research Institute (SANN)
New Zealand: Lincoln University
Spain: Universidad de Zaragoza
Sweden: Lulea University of Technology
Taiwan: National Chiayi University (NCYU)
Thailand: Chulalongkorn University

Students can also study at the University of Idaho through the International Student Exchange Program (ISEP) if their home university is a member of ISEP. Students who attend universities within the ISEP network should be aware that their universities are not listed here individually. Check ISEP's site for a list of member universities.

International Programs Office

Physical Address:
901 Paradise Creek St.
LLC Bldg. #3
Moscow, ID 83844

Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Drive
MS 1250
Moscow, ID 83844-1250

COVID-19 Information for international students, employees and scholars

Phone: 208-885-8984

Fax: 208-885-2859