The University of Idaho requires all international students enrolled in one or more credits and physically present on a University of Idaho campus to enroll in the University of Idaho Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP) as a condition of enrollment. All students are automatically enrolled in SHIP upon registering for classes.
International students with a health insurance policy provided by their sponsoring government may submit policy details to request a SHIP cancellation. Other international students with special circumstances may appeal for a SHIP exception. Email email@example.com for information and instructions. Approved appeals are for one term only.
Dependents of international students (not enrolled as a student) are not eligible to purchase SHIP. However, dependents of international students MUST have health insurance meeting specific insurance requirements and must provide proof of insurance to the International Programs Office (IPO). Please contact the IPO at firstname.lastname@example.org for information on dependent requirements and possible health insurance providers available.
- At least a $500,000 lifetime medical maximum benefit
- Annual deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
- Co-payment amount not greater than 25 percent so that the insurance pays at least 75 percent of charges
- Accident and illness coverage (to include maternity insurance for females)
- Repatriation coverage of at least $7,500 (a type of life insurance whereby the deceased is returned to their home country)
- Medical evacuation coverage of at least $10,000 (if the student should be too ill to attend school, this pays for the student to return to their home country)
- Company must have a licensed claims office within the U.S. with a U.S. phone and fax number
- Company must provide coverage in the Moscow, Idaho, area for emergency, nonemergency, outpatient and inpatient care, and mental health care
- Health insurance must be purchased annually to be renewed at the beginning of each fall semester (spring semester arrivals must purchase until fall semester begins and renew annually from then on)
- Must have athlete coverage if participating in club, intramural or NCAA Athletics