Extension Educator — Agronomy
Annex Building, Room 180
University of Idaho Extension, Jefferson County
210 Courthouse Way, Ste. 180
Rigby, ID 83442
Joseph specializes in agronomy and livestock, with a emphasis on forage production, grazing management and Spanish programs.
M.S., Utah State University, 2016
B.S., Utah State University, 2014
- Pest management
- Weed identification
- Insect identification
- Grass identification
- Pasture management
- Spanish education
- Sprinkle, J., J. Sagers, J. Hall, M. Ellison, J. Yelich, J. Bennan, B. Taylor, J. Lamb. 2020. Predicting cattle grazing behavior on rangeland using accelerometers. Rangeland Ecology & Management. Retrieved from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1550742420301202 (3, 5, 6)
- Sagers, J.K., J. Findlay, J. Hatch, G. Shewmaker, K. Jensen, J. Hogge, R. Roemer, J. Burr, 2020. Determining Quality and Performance of Cool Season Pasture Grasses at High Elevation in Eastern Idaho. Journal of National Association of County Ag Agents (NACAA). 13(1). Retrieved from: https://www.nacaa.com/journal/index.php?jid=1097 (*1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
- Findlay, J.R., J Hogge, M Leslie, S. Reitz, J. Sagers, J. Thomas, (2020). Evaluating Thrips Damage on Idaho Alfalfa Crops. Journal of the National Association of County Ag Agents (NACAA). 13(1). Retrieved from: https://www.nacaa.com/journal/index.php?jid=1079 (3, 5, 6)
- Waldron, B. J. Sagers, M. D. Peele, C.W. Rigby, B. Bugbee, J.E. Creech. 2019. Salinity reduces the forage quality of forage kochia: a halophytic Chenopodiaceae shrub. Rangeland Ecology and Management. Retrieved from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1550742419301162 (a, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
- Sagers, J.K., B. Bugbee, J.E. Creech, I. Mott, and B.L. Waldron, B.L. 2017. Salinity Tolerance of Three Competing Rangeland Plant Species: Studies in Hydroponic Culture. Journal of Ecology and Evolution. Retrieved from: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ece3.3607 (* a, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
- Making dormant season grazing work
- Development of an economic threshold for thrips damage on Idaho alfalfa crops
- Pesticide recertification credits provided in person and via Zoom broadcast
- Education with a focus on forages helps farmers in eastern Idaho
- Spanish Pesticide Safety Training Program draws new audience to UI Extension
- Managers gain insight into creating healthy and productive grazing systems
Joseph Sagers is University of Idaho Extension educator for Jefferson and Clark counties with an emphasis in agronomy and livestock. Originally from Utah, he was raised on a cow calf operation and he received his bachelors and masters degrees in plant science from Utah State University.
- Sagers, J. K., R Findlay, G. Shewmaker, and R. Roemer. Evaluating the effects of planting date and cutting height on teff grass in Idaho. National Association of County Agricultural Agents virtual conference poster session finalist, 2020.
- Sagers, J.K. National Association of County Agricultural Agents, Achievement Award, 2020.
- Sagers, J.K. Search for Excellence in Crop Production, National Association of County Agricultural Agents, 2020.