4-H in Cassia County
4-H prepares young people to step up to the challenges in their community and the world through hands-on, real world experience.
Cassia County 4-H offers innovative activities and programming, including the Cassia County community 4-H club. We also offer one of the state’s largest livestock programs, which includes beef, swine, dairy, sheep, goats, turkeys and rabbits.
For more specific information on Cassia County 4-H, please contact Rosie at 208-878-9461.
Enrollment in 4-H or any 4-H program is subject to approval by the appropriate extension personnel. To be eligible for enrollment and/or participation, members and/or volunteers must be in compliance with state and county policies, and not have any outstanding debts/payments due.
Membership & Age Requirements
- "Member" is defined as a youth of 4-H age individually enrolled at the county level in a 4-H club.
- 4-H age is the age of the individual on Jan. 1 of the current 4-H year (which runs from Oct. 1 to Sept. 30).
- 4-H members ages 8 to 18 years are eligible to participate in all programs offered by 4-H, including competitive activities/events. Cloverbuds, ages 5-7 years, may do cloverbud projects.
- Youth and volunteer enrollment information shall be maintained on the state-approved electronic enrollment system.
- In recognition of the educational and developmental needs of youth, members will be grouped for program management purposes (based on age as of Jan. 1 of current 4-H year) as follows:
Classification by Age
- Cloverbuds: 5 to 7 years old
- Junior: 8 to 10 years old
- Intermediate: 11 to 13 years old
- Senior: 14 to 18 years old
For more specific information, please contact the 4-H office between 8 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. on weekdays:
Phone: 208-878-9461, Fax: 208-878-7862, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- New family 4-H enrollment, please contact the Cassia County 4-H office 208-878-9461
- 4-H enrollment please go to: 4HOnline
- Enrollment tips please see Family Resources section at the UI Extension link 4HOnline Help
- Pay fees in person at the 4-H office or online at Cassia County PayPort
- 4-H Member $20 ($5 is paid by Cassia County 4-H Volunteer Association)
- 4-H Horse $23 ($5 is paid by Cassia County 4-H Volunteer Association)
- Species Fee $8
- Archery $5
- Cloverbud $20 ($5 is paid by Cassia County 4-H Volunteer Association)
- Volunteer $5
Enrollment Deadline: May 8, 2020
Final fair participation enrollment date for 2019-2020 year is 5/8/2020.
2020 After Fair Specie Evaluation Dates
In order to expedite information to the Fairboard by their October Meeting
Policy changes must be emailed to Rosie email@example.com by Sept. 1, 2020
Sept. 2, 2020
• Dog — 6 p.m.
• Horse — 7 p.m.
Sept. 3, 2020
• Goat — 6 p.m.
• Turkey — 7 p.m.
• Swine — 8 p.m.
Sept. 9, 2020
• Rabbit — 6 p.m.
• Beef — 7 p.m.
Sept. 10, 2020
• Sheep — 6 p.m.
• Dairy — 7 p.m.
- March 17, 2020 — Volunteer Council (Canceled)
- March 20, 2020 — Dairy Pool — Final day to sign-up
- March 23-25, 2020 — Spring Break Classes 2020-Spring-Break-Classes (pdf) (Canceled)
- March 30, 2020 — Turkey Specie Evening 5:30-7 p.m.
- April 6, 2020 — Swine Specie Evening 5:30-7 p.m.
- April 10, 2020 — Swine Registration deadline
- April 17, 2020 — Weigh-in 4-6 p.m.
- April 20, 2020 — Dairy Specie Evening 5:30-7 p.m.
- April 21, 2020 — Volunteer Council
- April 24, 2020 — Dairy Registration deadline
- April 27, 2020 — Sheep Specie Evening 5:30-7 p.m.
- May 1, 2020 — Joan Parr Scholarship due
- May 1, 2020 — Dairy Weigh-in 6-7:30 p.m.
- May 7, 2020 — Sheep Registration deadline
- May 8, 2020 — 2020 Fair 4-H Enrollment Deadline
- May 8, 2020 — Turkey, Goat & Rabbit Livestock Agreements due
- May 8, 2020 — Horse ID forms & registrations due
- May 14, 2020 — Sheep Weigh-in 6-7:30 p.m.
- May 25, 2020 — Memorial Day — Office Closed
- May 27, 2020 — Turkey Bills of sale due
Cassia County 4-H Livestock Story or Report Guidelines
4-H livestock projects in Cassia County are required to complete either a 4-H story or a research report. These are to be turned in with the livestock record books.
4-H Story — Juniors
- Submit a one-page, double spaced story about their livestock project that year
- The story may be typed
4-H Livestock Research Report — Intermediates and Seniors
- Submit a one-page, double spaced research report related to their livestock project that year
- The research report may be typed
- At least two (2) sources must be cited
- Each year the 4-H member will need to pick a new research topic
Awards and Scholarships
- Hard Luck Award (PDF)
- District III Leader’s Association Scholarship (PDF)
- Joan Parr Scholarship (PDF)
To provide opportunities for area clientele, UI Extension, Cassia County works with several partner organizations including:
- Cassia County, Idaho
- Cassia County 4-H Volunteer Association
- Cassia County Fair and Rodeo
- Central Idaho 4-H Camp
- Idaho State 4-H Volunteer Association
- Central District 4-H Volunteer Association
- Cassia County School District
- College of Southern Idaho
- Burley Public Library
- Cassia Regional Hospital