UI Extension, Canyon County offers classes and resources on a variety of crop production topics
Pesticide Safety Education Course (Pre-License)
This is a two-day course given every other year by UI Extension and the Idaho State Department of Agriculture.
Farmers, farm workers, agricultural and landscape industry professionals and government officials attend the class. Topics include:
- Pesticide formulations, labels and safety
- Weeds and their control
- Insect pests and their control
- Groundwater quality
- Pesticide fate in the environment
- Pesticide use and record keeping
- Pesticide storage and spill management
- Spray equipment calibration
The topics are covered for two days followed by an exam day.
Annual Pesticide Safety Re-Certification Training Course
UI Extension and ISDA employees host a one-day training class every December in Caldwell for current pesticide applicators. Participants receive six Idaho pesticide re-certification credits for the training.
Topics vary but generally cover:
- Chemical registration
- Pest management
- Record keeping
- Personal protective equipment
- Noxious weeds
Spanish Pesticide Safety Training (taught entirely in Spanish)