Visit or call the Plant Clinic to:
- Learn how best to care for your garden, orchard or landscape with research-based information
- Get practical “how-to” advice on many home horticulture topics
- Identify many insects, weeds and disease organisms and choose the best treatment options
- Access information resources
- Pick up soil sampling kits and instructions for sending the sample to the UI lab (our office provides interpretation of soil sample results)
- April 15 – Sept. 30
- Tuesdays 9 a.m. to noon
- Thursdays 1 - 4 p.m.
- Oct. 1 – April 14
208-245-2422or drop off samples at 701 W. College Avenue, Suite LL2; St. Maries, ID 83861.
Sample Submission Guidelines
In order for us to assure accuracy and speed, please follow these guidelines closely.
- A full description of your situation, including the variety of the plant, if possible.
- Details about your planting, watering, fertilizing, pesticide use (type of chemicals applied), etc.
- Good physical samples and photographs that show the whole plant (flower, stalk, leaf and root) or insect.
Please read the following before bringing in your sample:
- Plant Clinic Submission Guidelines (PDF)
- Plant Problem Diagnosis (PDF)
- Insect Identification Guidelines (PDF)
- Plant and Weed Identification Guidelines (PDF)
The more info we have, the better detectives we can be. Please expect to fill out a questionnaire related to your request. We will need the entire questionnaire completed in order to answer your questions.
Contacting the Plant Clinic
Our office is staffed by certified volunteers. If we are not available on the day you visit, please know that an Idaho Master Gardener will contact you as soon as possible.
Our phone lines are very busy during office hours in the summer months. To expedite your answers, we encourage you to leave a message any day of the week with your challenge/question so we may research it in the meantime. A volunteer will return your call as soon as we can.
No walk-in days are available during the off-season. However, we are available by phone at
Samples may be dropped off to our front desk and we will address them once per week.