UI Extension is working to keep our communities safe. All Extension programming for the Idaho Master Gardener Program in Kootenai County is being provided virtually, postponed or canceled. Therefore, our Extension office in Kootenai County is currently closed to walk-in clients at our Plant Clinic.* However, our Virtual Plant Clinic is available by email, phone and web conference, if necessary.
- Please see our guidelines below to virtually submit a question or sample to your Idaho Master Gardeners any day of the week.
- When your inquiry accompanies the required, completed form below, volunteers will be available to respond by email or phone twice per week during our virtual Plant Clinic Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays, April through September.
*Older adults are both a vulnerable population and an abundant group in our program and at many events in which we participate. We also have many volunteers who are considered at risk in other vulnerable populations. We appreciate your understanding and support.
- April 15 – Sept. 30
- Tuesdays 9 a.m. to noon
- Thursdays 1 - 4 p.m.
- Oct. 1 – April 14
208-245-2422or drop off samples at 701 W. College Avenue, Suite LL2; St. Maries, ID 83861.
Sample Submission Guidelines
In order for us to assure accuracy and speed, please follow these guidelines closely.
- A full description of your situation, including the variety of the plant, if possible.
- Details about your planting, watering, fertilizing, pesticide use (type of chemicals applied), etc.
- Good physical samples and photographs that show the whole plant (flower, stalk, leaf and root) or insect.
Please read the following before bringing in your sample:
- Plant Clinic Submission Guidelines (PDF)
- Plant Problem Diagnosis (PDF)
- Insect Identification Guidelines (PDF)
- Plant and Weed Identification Guidelines (PDF)
The more info we have, the better detectives we can be. Please expect to fill out a questionnaire related to your request. We will need the entire questionnaire completed in order to answer your questions.
Contacting the Plant Clinic
Our office is staffed by certified volunteers. If we are not available on the day you visit, please know that an Idaho Master Gardener will contact you as soon as possible.
Our phone lines are very busy during office hours in the summer months. To expedite your answers, we encourage you to leave a message any day of the week with your challenge/question so we may research it in the meantime. A volunteer will return your call as soon as we can.
No walk-in days are available during the off-season. However, we are available by phone at
Samples may be dropped off to our front desk and we will address them once per week.