Vandal Climate Education and Support Team
Preface: To educate the broader community and state on our role, responsibilities and functions, we would like to take the opportunity to correct any misinformation about the work of this team. If you’ve read information on this page recently, you’ll note we’ve made some changes to clarify our function and purpose. We encourage you to read thoughtfully and thoroughly the content of this page, which is intended to better educate readers about the necessary work of this team.
The Vandal Climate Education and Support Team shares the university's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion as our guiding principles. We seek to foster a respectful and civil learning environment. We promote intellectual and academic freedom, free expression and exchange of all ideas, for the well-being of our students, faculty, staff and community.
As a place of learning and training, the university adheres to standards of ethical and civil discourse and action within our classrooms, offices, hallways, student organizations and gathering places.
The Fundamental Role
The fundamental role of the Vandal Climate Education and Support Team is to:
- Collect, track and adequately respond to information on any and all reported incidents of prejudice and hate against members of our community;
- Provide immediate support for those impacted by prejudice and intolerance by connecting them with support services;
- Foster an environment for all voices to be heard;
- Facilitate proactive and ongoing educational training about the impact of prejudice;
- Inform administration and recommend best practices in terms of policy and action, based on trends and findings.