A scholarly stepping stone.
With a focus on music history, this intensive program is designed specifically for students who want to take their next steps in their career as a music educator or scholar.
In this program, you will build the foundation required for a doctoral degree in music. You will engage in the advanced study of music history, theory and literature. You will also develop your research and writing skills with mentorship from a first-class faculty of accomplished scholars of composition, music theory, music education, pedagogy, musicology, performance and more.
Students in this program complete a thesis.
This degree could be a good fit if you:
- Want to pursue a doctoral degree in music
- Want a career in academia
- Are interested in music theory and history
- Have a strong musical background
- Are an analytical/critical thinker
With this degree, you could become a/an:
- University professor (with a doctoral degree)
- Music historian
- Musical journalist
- Music business professional
- Arts manager