Prepare for public management.
Leadership in the public sector demands a broad understanding of public sector management. The Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree is offered for students interested in careers in the governance and management of local governments and communities. The skills you’ll gain can be applied to careers in non-profit, state, and federal agencies.
In this program you can expect to improve your intellectual and analytical skills, earning practical experience you need to enhance your ability to serve the public interest. Both on-campus MPA and online MPA degrees are offered.
Program Core Courses
- Public Administration Theory
- Government Budgeting
- Public Personnel Administration
- Local Government Law, Politics and Administration
- Research Methods for Local Government and Community Administration
You’ll have the opportunity to develop your unique interests by tailoring your elective courses to your interests. A final comprehensive examination must also be completed.
This is a non-thesis program. You will be required to complete a public service internship if you have not previously worked in the public or nonprofit sectors. If you have public service experience, you’ll complete field-based research in lieu of an internship.
This program could be a good fit if you:
- Are interested in public service
- Want to work for the public or nonprofit sector
- Enjoy working with people
- Have strong leadership and management skills
With this degree, you could become a/an:
- Municipal Administrator
- City Manager
- Policy Analyst
- City Planner or Urban Designer
- Executive Director of a Non-profit
- Legislative Analyst
- Chief of Staff for County Commission Office
- Local Politician
- Legal and Compliance (with further education)
Political Science, M.A.