Request More Information
Healthy living through recreation.
As a professional with expertise and advanced training in recreation, you will be positioned to promote active lifestyles and to help shape healthy communities.
This program explores contemporary issues and advanced concepts related to leadership and management of recreation and physical activity programs and facilities, including municipal and university recreation and sport facilities, outdoor recreation settings, and travel and tourism industries. You will learn to plan, organize and direct recreation programs to improve activity levels and health for youth, senior citizens, athletes, tourists, outdoor adventurers, and others in your community.
With the campus’s student recreation facilities and Idaho’s countless mountains, rivers and lakes as their laboratory, students in this program have exceptional opportunities for hands-on field research and experiences. Students can choose to complete this degree in one or two years. Typically some classes are offered in the evenings to accommodate students who work full-time. Most graduate students in this degree option choose to complete a 6-credit professional internship instead of a thesis.
This program could be a good fit if you:
- Have a background in health, physical education, recreation, exercise science or other related field
- Lead an active, healthy lifestyle
- Enjoy outdoor recreation
- Enjoy sports and physical activity
- Like to work with and help others
- Want to understand and influence real-world issues in the field
With this degree, you could become a/an:
- Recreation director for cities and communities
- Director of campus recreation
- Commercial recreation outfitter and guide
- Special event coordinator
- Parks interpreter and guide
- Tourism operator
- Supervisor of sports programs/leagues
- Aquatics director
- Health educator
- Activity director for cruise ships or resorts
- Administrator of after-school programs
- Activity director for a senior center
- Recreation or Hospitality Business Owner
Rehabilitation Counseling & Human Services, M.Ed.