Chair of Theatre Arts, Professor of Costume Design
Theatre Arts Department
University of Idaho
P.O. Box 2008
Moscow, Idaho 83844-2008
Ann Hoste is chair of Theatre Arts and a professor of costume design.
Ann Hoste is the chair of Theatre Arts at the University of Idaho and professor of costume design. She received her Master of Arts in Theatre and Interpretation from Missouri State University and her Master of Fine Arts from The University of Texas-Austin. A long-time member of United Scenic Artists and the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Ann has designed costumes for professional theatres across the country, including the Zachary Scott Theatre Center, Great Lakes Theatre Festival, Austin Shakespeare Company, St. Louis’ Muny First Stage, and Central Missouri Repertory.
Ann has contributed extensively to theatre arts in Idaho and is a two-time recipient of the Idaho Commission on the Arts Fellowship for excellence in the arts. She has designed costumes for Idaho Shakespeare Festival, Idaho Repertory Theatre, Boise Contemporary Theatre, Idaho Dance Theatre and Idaho Theatre for Youth. She also performed the role of Maria in “Uncle Vanya” for Idaho’s Company of Fools, directed “Master Class” for Opera Idaho, and directed Menotti’s “The Medium” for Boise State University’s Department of Music. Before joining the University of Idaho faculty, she designed costumes for sixty university theatre productions at BSU where she served as Professor of Theatre for nineteen years. She also directed over a dozen productions
Ann has received two major awards from Kennedy Center/American College Theatre Festival: a National Faculty Design Fellowship, and the Silver Anniversary Symposium Scholarship Award for Outstanding Achievement as a Teacher Artist.
- United Scenic Artists, Local 829 (USA)
- International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE)
- International Organization of Scenographers, Theatre Technicians and Architects (OISTAT)
- Editorial Board Member: Projects for Teaching Costume Design and Technology; United States Institute for Theatre Technology, Inc.; 1997.
- Costume Designs published in Theatre Design and Technology; Summer 1994, Volume 30, Number 3; United States Institute for Theatre Technology Design Exposition 1994 Catalogue.
Representative Costume Designs
- “The Little Prince,” Idaho Repertory Theatre: 2015
- “The Merry Wives of Windsor,” Idaho Repertory Theatre: 2013
- “Cinderella,” Boise State University: 2011
- “110 in the Shade” Company of Fools: 2009
- “Catch,” Idaho Dance Theatre; Boise: 2008
- “Memory of Water, “Boise Contemporary Theatre: 2006
- “Amadeus,” Great Lakes Theater Festival, Cleveland: 2005
- “The Tomato Plant Girl,” Idaho Theatre for Youth: 1998
- “Moss Gown,” Muny First Stage; St. Louis: 1997
- “King Henry the Fourth, Parts One and Two,” Idaho Shakespeare Festival: 1995
- “She Stoops to Conquer,” Kenyon College: 1994
- “Dear Liar,” New World Theatre; Columbus: 1994
- “The Miser,” Central Missouri Repertory Theatre: 1992
- “Into the Woods” Austin’s Zilker Summer Musical: 1991
- “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” St. Edwards University: 1988
- “The Quilters, ”Zachary Scott Theatre Center; Austin, TX: 1986
Representative Directing Credits
- 2010 Opera Idaho/Boise State University: “Master Class”
- 2007 Boise State University: "You Can't Take It With You"
- 2000 Boise State University: “The House of Bernarda Alba”
- 1994 Kenyon College: “Picnic”
- 1991 St. Edward's University: “Lion in Winter”
- 2013 University of Idaho: "A Christmas Carol"
- 2010 Boise State University: “Main Street”
- 2006 Boise State University: “Antigone”
- 2007 Outstanding Teacher-Artist Award; Kennedy Center/American College Theater Festival, Region VII
- 2007 National Faculty Design Fellowship, KC/ACTF
- 2003 Fellowship; Theatre Discipline; Idaho Commission on the Arts
- 1997 Fellowship; Theatre Discipline; Idaho Commission on the Arts
- 1994 Silver Anniversary Symposium Scholarship Award, KC/ACTF