David Paul, Ph.D.
David Paul, Ph.D.
Professor, Program Coordinator, Exercise, Sport, and Health Sciences
- Ph.D., Exercise Physiology, The Ohio State University, 1999
- M.S., Exercise Science, East Tennessee State University, 1995
- B.Ed., Physical Education, Purdue University, 1993
Investigating the relationships between physical activity, food intake, and chronic disease
Studying the relationship between the built environment and obesity in children and adults
Developing methodologies to improve the measurement of physical activity and food intake
- Coeur d’Alene Tribal School Culture Days Project 2015-2019
- Deng, Y., Paul, D.R. The relationships between depressive symptoms, functional health status, physical activity and the availability of recreational facilities: a rural-urban comparison in middle-aged and older Chinese adults. Int J Behav Med. 2018 Jun;25(3):322-330.
- Vakanski, A., Jun, H., Paul, D., Baker, R. A data set of human body movements for physical therapy exercises. Data (Basel). 2018 Mar; 3(1).
- Paul D.R., McGrath, R., Vella, C.A., Kramer, M., Baer, D.J., Moshfegh, A.J. Understanding the nature of measurement error when estimating energy expenditure and physical activity via physical activity recall. J Phys Act Health. 2018 Jul 1;15(7):543-549.
- McGrath, R.P., Vella, C.A., Scruggs, P.W., Williams, C.J., Peterson, M.D., Vincent, B.M, Paul, D.R. The impact of low accelerometer wear time on the estimates and application of sedentary behavior and physical activity data in adults. J Phys Act Health. 2017 Dec 1;14(12):919-924.
- Lowry, M.B., McGrath, R.P., Scruggs, P.W., Paul, D.R. Practitioner survey and measurement error in manual bicycle and pedestrian count programs involving community-volunteers. IJST. 2016;10(8):720-729.
- Paul, D.R., Kramer, M., Rumpler, W.V., Stote, K.S., Clevidence, B.A., and Baer, D.J. Determinants of variance in habitual total and moderate-to-vigorous physical activity in overweight adults. J Phys Act Health. 2015 May;12(5): 680-5.
- Vella, C.A., Paul, D.R., and Bader, J. Cardiac response to submaximal and maximal exercise in normal-weight and obese, Hispanic men and women: Implications for exercise prescription. Acta Physiol. 2012; 205:113-123.
- Baer, D.J., Stote, K.S., Paul, D.R., Harris, G.K., Rumpler, W.V., and Clevidence, B.A.. Whey protein but not soy protein supplementation alters body weight and composition in free-living overweight and obese adults. J Nutr. 2011;141(8):1489-94
- Alkurdi, W., Paul, D.R., Sadowski, K., and Dolny, D.D. The effect of water depth on energy expenditure and perception of effort while walking in female subjects. IJARE. 2010; 4:49-60.
- Paul, D.R., Kramer, M., Moshfegh, A.J., Baer, D.J., and Rumpler, W.V. Estimates of adherence and error analysis of physical activity data collected via accelerometry in a large study of free-living adults. BMC Med Res Methodol, 2008;8(1):38-47.
- Moshfegh, A.J., Rhodes, D.G., Baer, D.J., Murayi, T., Clemens, J.C., Rumpler, W.V., Paul, D.R., Sebastian, R.S., Kuczynski, K.J., Ingwersen, L.A., Staples, R., and Cleveland, L.E. The US Department of Agriculture Automated Multiple-Pass Method reduces bias in the collection of energy intakes. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008; 88:324-32
- Rumpler, W.V., Kramer, M., Rhodes, D.G., Moshfegh, A.J., Paul, D.R. Identifying sources of reporting error using measured food intake. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2008;62(4):544-52.
- Paul D.R., Kramer M., Moshfegh, A.J., Baer, D.J., Rumpler, W.V. Comparison of two different physical activity monitors. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2007;7(1):26-31.
- Stote, K.S., Baer, D.J., Spears, K., Paul, D.R., Harris, G.K., Rumpler, W.V., Strycula, P., Najjar, S.S., Ferrucci, L., Ingram, D.K., Longo, D.L., Mattson, M.P. A controlled trial of reduced meal frequency without caloric restriction in healthy, normal-weight, middle-aged adults. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;85(4):981-8.