David Paul, Ph.D.
Professor, Exercise, Sport, and Health Sciences
- Ph.D., Exercise Physiology, The Ohio State University, 1999
- M.S., Exercise Science, East Tennessee State University, 1995
- B.Ed., Physical Education, Purdue University, 1993
Carving dugout canoes and canoe paddles for the promotion of physical activity in children
Epidemiology of physical activity, food intake, and non-communicable disease
Developing methodologies to improve the measurement of physical activity and food intake
- Nimíipuu Protecting the Environment Canoe and Canoe Paddle Project 2017-
- Palouse Prairie Charter School Canoe and Canoe Paddle Project 2018-
- Laugero, K.D., Paul, D.R., and Jahns, L. Energy intake and season interact to influence physiological stress load among midlife women. Stress. 2021 Jun 7;1-8.
- Williams, C., Vakanski, A., Lee, S., and Paul, D. Assessment of Physical Rehabilitation Movements through Dimensionality Reduction and Statistical Modeling. Med Eng Phys. 2019 Dec; 74: 13-22.
- Paul, D.R., Deng, Y., and Cook, P.S. Cross-Sectional and Longitudinal Analysis of the Active Commuting Behaviors of U.S. Department of the Interior Employees. BMC Public Health. 2019 May 8;19(1):526.
- Deng, Y., Paul, D.R. The relationships between depressive symptoms, functional health status, physical activity and the availability of recreational facilities: a rural-urban comparison in middle-aged and older Chinese adults. Int J Behav Med. 2018 Jun;25(3):322-330.
- Vakanski, A., Jun, H., Paul, D., Baker, R. A data set of human body movements for physical therapy exercises. Data (Basel). 2018 Mar; 3(1).
- Paul D.R., McGrath, R., Vella, C.A., Kramer, M., Baer, D.J., Moshfegh, A.J. Understanding the nature of measurement error when estimating energy expenditure and physical activity via physical activity recall. J Phys Act Health. 2018 Jul 1;15(7):543-549.
- McGrath, R.P., Vella, C.A., Scruggs, P.W., Williams, C.J., Peterson, M.D., Vincent, B.M, Paul, D.R. The impact of low accelerometer wear time on the estimates and application of sedentary behavior and physical activity data in adults. J Phys Act Health. 2017 Dec 1;14(12):919-924.
- Lowry, M.B., McGrath, R.P., Scruggs, P.W., Paul, D.R. Practitioner survey and measurement error in manual bicycle and pedestrian count programs involving community-volunteers. IJST. 2016;10(8):720-729.
- Paul, D.R., Kramer, M., Rumpler, W.V., Stote, K.S., Clevidence, B.A., and Baer, D.J. Determinants of variance in habitual total and moderate-to-vigorous physical activity in overweight adults. J Phys Act Health. 2015 May;12(5): 680-5.
- Green, A.N., McGrath, R.P., Martinez, V., Taylor, K., Paul, D.R., and Vella, C.A. Associations of objectively-measured sedentary behavior, light activity, and markers of cardiometabolic health in young women. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2014 May;114(5):907-19.
- Paul, D.R., Scruggs, P.W., Goc Karp, G., Ransdell, L.B., Robinson, C., Lester, M.J., Gao, Y., Jones-Petranek, L., Brown, H.B., and Shimon, J. Developing a statewide childhood body mass index surveillance program. J Sch Health. 2014 Oct;84(10):661-7.
- Vella, C.A., Paul, D.R., and Bader, J. Cardiac response to submaximal and maximal exercise in normal-weight and obese, Hispanic men and women: Implications for exercise prescription. Acta Physiol. 2012;205:113-123.
- Paul, D.R., Kramer, M., Moshfegh, A.J., Baer, D.J., and Rumpler, W.V. Estimates of adherence and error analysis of physical activity data collected via accelerometry in a large study of free-living adults. BMC Med Res Methodol, 2008;8(1):38-47.
- Moshfegh, A.J., Rhodes, D.G., Baer, D.J., Murayi, T., Clemens, J.C., Rumpler, W.V., Paul, D.R., Sebastian, R.S., Kuczynski, K.J., Ingwersen, L.A., Staples, R., and Cleveland, L.E. The US Department of Agriculture Automated Multiple-Pass Method reduces bias in the collection of energy intakes. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008;88:324-32.
- Rumpler, W.V., Kramer, M., Rhodes, D.G., Moshfegh, A.J., and Paul, D.R. Identifying sources of reporting error using measured food intake. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2008;62(4):544-52.
- Paul D.R., Kramer M., Moshfegh, A.J., Baer, D.J., and Rumpler, W.V. Comparison of two different physical activity monitors. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2007;7(1):26-31.
- Rumpler, W.V., Kramer, M., Rhodes, D.G., and Paul, D.R. The impact of the covert manipulation of macronutrient intake on energy intake and the variability in daily food intake in nonobese men. Int J Obes 2006;30(5):774-81.
- Paul, D.R., Rhodes, D.G., Kramer, M., Baer, D.J., and Rumpler, W.V. Validation of a food frequency questionnaire by direct measurement of habitual ad libitum food intake. Am J Epidemiol. 2005;162(8):806-14.
- Paul, D.R., Novotny, J.A., and Rumpler, W.V. Effects of the interaction of sex and food intake on the relation between energy expenditure and body composition. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004;79(3):385-9.